No sound from Midi Keyboard via USB

Michael dennismail at gmx.net
Tue Sep 20 13:50:09 UTC 2011

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 20.09.2011 um 10:22 schrieb Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:

> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 10:07 +0200,  plug-in synth is loaded,
>>

>>> resp. no synth is connected to MIDI out.
>>

> This seems to be bad coding by the Rosegarden coders. I suspect that
> they refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI, instead of just
> using numbers, they perhaps add names. If so, it would be very stupid.

Well, different people, different art of coding, I guess. But this does not influence any correct way in the context. We cannot change this, but we should keep this in mind here on the mailing list, I suggest.

> You learn playing Rock music in the streets, not by books. 2 Cents YMMV.

I wouldn't completely agree on this. I guess we can compare music with language here. If you want to learn a language, you first have to learn the basic vocabulary. Of course, you then learn by speaking (=playing your instrument). But if you don't keep up with the basics, you can not get on a "higher level". Therefor, musical theory helps you not only to get better, but also to have more fun, because if you know more, it's more easy to express your feelings/thoughts via this way.  Just my cents.

Greets,
Dennis