No sound from Midi Keyboard via USB

DennisMail at gmx.net DennisMail at gmx.net
Mon Sep 19 18:13:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

first of allthanks for your answer.

> MIDI isn't a protocol for sound and MIDI devices don't generate sound,
> the Oxygen 8 is a controller keyboard.

I am aware of this - I am sorry if I didn't mention this.

> If your Oxygen 8 isn't connected to a software synthesizer on your
> computer (such as a DSSI synth or a soundfont engine in Rosegarden) or a
> hardware synth or sound module, you'll never hear anything, whether
> connected with a DIN connector or MIDI over USB.

Well, as I am beginner in midi, I just thought that I might get a sound when having chosed "General MIDI Device" and under it "Acoustic Grand Piano" in the section "Wiedergabeparameter". I just assumed that somehow, Rosegarden has integrated a software synth here. Am I completely wrong?

Anyhow, when I select "Synth Plugin" under "Wiedergabeparameter" and then eg "Xsynth DSSI plugin" as Paramter for the instrument, I perfectly hear something. Also, I am able to get sound via ZynAddSubFX. But I still want to understand how rosegarden is working here - can somebody please explain me where my brain went wrong?

Greets,
Dennis