No sound from Midi Keyboard via USB

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Sun Sep 18 21:27:52 UTC 2011

Dennis Neumeier wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I just have a Midi Keyboard here (M-Audio Axygen 8) and I am trying to get any
> sound out of it. Unfortunately, I have no Sound Card with Midi Support, so I
> connect the keyboard via USB (I am aware of the possible latency). As system,
> I am using Ubuntu Studio 8.04, because it was quite hard to get my sound card
> working (M-Audio Delta 66), so I did not dare to change to a newer version.
>
> I can see the keys via Jack connector and I connected it to "record in" from
> rosegarden (http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/inr2-1-c4ca-png.html) in alsa
> tab. In rosegarden, I can see that a signal is coming in and that it records
> something (http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/inr2-3-eccb-png.html). But how
> do I now get the signal to the speakers? Nothing really works -
> http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/inr2-2-c81e-png.html shows that I have 4
> outputs from rosegarden. What I'd like to do is to connect the output from
> rosegarden to a channel from Ardour.
>
> Can somebody please help?
>
> Greets.

Hi

MIDI isn't a protocol for sound and MIDI devices don't generate sound,
the Oxygen 8 is a controller keyboard.

MIDI is a protocol for controlling and interfacing musical instruments
-- Musical Instrument Digital Interface -- it doesn't transmit sounds,
just messages about note durations, note on, note off, note velocity etc.

If your Oxygen 8 isn't connected to a software synthesizer on your
computer (such as a DSSI synth or a soundfont engine in Rosegarden) or a
hardware synth or sound module, you'll never hear anything, whether
connected with a DIN connector or MIDI over USB.

It looks like you've managed to record the MIDI data you created by
playing the keyboard, but there is no instrument for the data to play
and make a sound. The M-Audio cards don't contain synthesizers so the
General MIDI Acoustic Grand Piano showing in RG isn't actually connected
to anything that can make a sound.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes