11.10, where is it?

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:06:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 7:21 AM, daniel murray <danielmurray01 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've had to switch to 11.04, install the lowlatency kernel (3.012) and the
> software I use manually. I use hyrdrogen, zynaddsubfx, seq24, muse, jack,
> jack-rack, ardour, audacity, auto-talent, vocoder and all the calf, ladspa
> and the tom plugins, jamin and the xfce interface.
>
> My studio PC recently blew up when i moved from Lucid (which could no
> longer reach any repos!!!!) to 11.04. As I loaded one of my sessions (not
> realising the kernel went to generic) and thus overloaded the cpu to the
> point that my PC crashed and would no longer post. When I looked at it
> physically, the heat sick was bent,,,,nice:). It was just a simple inter p4
> 2.9ghz, 512L2 cache with a gig of ram. On this, I could run hydrogen,
> ardour, jack-rack and zynaddsubfx with at least 6 hudge sounds loaded in zyn
> and atleast 12 tracks of audio in ardour with fx and even porting to jamin
> or audacity for master mixes.
>
> Now, even with a dual core atom processor (believe it or not, actually have
> to use a netbook to keep producing) along with an M-Audio AudioPhile USB
> audio/midi box, when I run Hydrogren with ZynAddSubFX and Seq24-(since muse
> took a poop), I can't load more than 2 sounds in zyn before jack takes a
> poop.  So as a work around until these issues get solved, I have to reccord
> small wave file patterns from zyn and import those as instruments within
> hydrgen so that they can be sequenced. Not ideal but atleast I can get my
> releases done.
>
> Also noted that the physical midi timing between outboard devices and
> internal devices such as hydrogen do not line up and sometimes fall out of
> sync over time.
>
> I wish the 9.10 repos still existed - this release worked.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Daniel Murray.

hey daniel... feel free to find me on the IRC as holstein in #ubuntustudio,
#ubuntustudio-devel or #opensourcemusicians.... i think you'll need to be a
bit more pro-active to diagnose just exactly what your issue/issues are. the
repos for 10.04 work fine for me. you can always get the DVD for 9.10,
install, and just dont update. anyways, the scenarios you mention seem like
they could be hardware related... and also, even though you are switching
machines, and operating systems quite a bit, there are a few constants. you
are a steady constant, you and your methods of connecting and configuring
the hardware, and also the USB device is a constant (i assume) so i think it
would be beneficial to look at the systems and how they are using/seeing
that USB device, and how you are configuring the systems. i have *never*
heard of JACK or a kernel or anything like that breaking hardware either...
lets troubleshoot and get some concrete answers to list in a bug report or
somewhere else that will be beneficial to you.

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Scott Lavender <scottalavender at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Tim H <bizdev at pwnspeak.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When is the stable release scheduled to be available?  Xubuntu has been
>>> out for almost a week now.
>>>
>>> I'm planning on merging my 2 partitions into one mega release for 11.10
>>> as it fixes many of the problems I've had on both studio and xubuntu
>>> releases past.
>>>
>>> J/w
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I will be glad to provide the link to the release plus a caveat for the
>> Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot release.
>>
>> The link:  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/11.10/release/
>>
>> The caveat:t unfortunately this is slightly unfinished as the team made
>> slow progress initially and then basically fell apart during the cycle.
>> There are updated applications but the transition to xfce remain
>> incomplete.  i do not believe there are any other significant issues with
>> 11.10 but would certainly like to hear if any are experienced.
>>
>> Lastly, I would like to mention that we have a plan for 12.04 and I firmly
>> believe we will see a release of which to be proud.
>>
>> ScottL
>>

>> --

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>