Jack and Firewire

Bob Hamil bobhamil at racc2000.com
Mon Oct 3 13:05:11 UTC 2011

Tim,
I'm not sure how low latency kernel XFCE is using,
but I'm using it for the base of my audio system
because it has FFADO, JAck2 available in repo so I
don't need to compile to get my Personus Firestudio
26x26 working in linux.

Here is an un-polished newest version of instructions
that I'll post to my website when I clean them up a bit.

Make sure you have each of these things in your setup
as a beginning point.

Also when I get that error, I repeat the command and
it may work the next time.

At the end is output from my working Presonus
Firestudio.

Work in progress...

Comments and corrections welcome!!

Bob

Draft instructions below:

Make sure whatever interface you are using works in
whatever operating system there are drivers available
for.

Download the 32-bit version of XFCE from
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818
(I haven't tested 64bit yet.)

Allow the system to update through Update Manager.

In Synaptic, add:
ffado-dBus-server, ffado-mixer-qt4, ffado-tools,
libffado-dev, libfaddo2,
jack2d-firewire (other dependcies will also add).

Not necessary, but I also add: jack-mixer, jacktrip,
pulseaudio-module-jack, silentjack.
Close synaptic.

Open File Manager, navigate to /usr/share/,
right-click on libffado2 and choose "open folder as
root". Enter password if needed.
Open the configuration file in gedit,
add these lines to the file to fit the obvious format
(use cut and paste):
{
vendorid = 0x000a92;
modelid = 0x00000008;
vendorname = "Presonus";
modelname = "Firestudio 26x26";
driver = 20;
},

ctrl-f and enter your interface name to look for your
interface manufacturer,

Start Menu | System | Users and Groups
Add your user name to these groups by couble-clicking
on each and checkboxing your user name:
audio, disk, video

******* may not be needed****Open File Manager,
navigate to /etc/security/, right-click on limits.d
and choose "open folder as root". Enter password if
needed. Check if audio.conf is present.  It needs
these lines:
@audio - rtprio 99

@audio - memlock unlimited
*****************

Navigate to /etc/udev/, right-click on rules.d and
choose "open folder as root". Enter password if
needed.

Right-click on empty space in the rules.d folder and
choose "create document | empty file" and name it
50-udev-firewire.rules. Paste GROUP=="audio" into
the file and save it.

Connect your firewire interface and power it on.

Start Qjackctl by Start Menu | Multimedia | Qjackctl.

Open setup, choose firewire from the driver drop-down
menu.
Make sure Realtime is checked.
Add 85 to the priority window, choose 256 from the
Frames/Period window,
Only check verbose if you have trouble starting jack
in the next steps.
Click "OK".

Click on "start" and see what happens. If you also
click on "messages", this is the output that my
Presonus 26x26 produces after I press "stop":

10:10:09.012 Patchbay deactivated.
10:10:09.103 Statistics reset.
10:10:09.115 ALSA connection change.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or
directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
10:10:09.158 ALSA connection graph change.
10:10:13.143 JACK is starting...
10:10:13.144 /usr/bin/jackd -P85 -dfirewire -r48000
-p256 -n3
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or
directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
no message buffer overruns
10:10:13.247 JACK was started with PID=3370.
no message buffer overruns
jackdmp 1.9.7
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to
redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for
details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 85
libffado 2.999.0- built Apr 2 2011 11:55:07
06567801151: Warning (dice_eap.cpp)[ 113] init:
no EAP mixer (device does not support EAP)
 DICE Parameter Space info:
Global : offset=0x0028 size=0360
TX : offset=0x0190 size=0568
nb= 2 size=0280
RX : offset=0x03C8 size=1128
nb= 2 size=0280
UNUSED1 : offset=0x0830 size=0016
UNUSED2 : offset=0x0000 size=0000
Global param space:
Owner : 0x00000000FFFF0000
Notification : 0x00000040
Nick name : FIRESTUDIO
Clock Select : 0x02 0x0C
Enable : false
Clock Status : locked 0x02
Extended Status : 0x00000000
Samplerate : 0x0000BB80 (48000)
Version : 0x01000400
Version : 0x01000400 (1.0.4.0)
Clock caps : 0x13FF001E
Clock sources :
SPDIF
ADAT
Word Clock
Unused
Unused
Unused
Unused
Internal
TX param space:
Nb of xmit : 2
Transmitter 0:
ISO channel : -1
ISO speed : 2
Nb audio channels : 16
Nb midi channels : 1
AC3 caps : 0x00000000
AC3 enable : 0x00000000
Channel names :
Mic/Inst 1
Mic/Inst 2
Mic/Line 3
Mic/Line 4
Mic/Line 5
Mic/Line 6
Mic/Line 7
Mic/Line 8
ADAT 1
ADAT 2
ADAT 3
ADAT 4
ADAT 5
ADAT 6
ADAT 7
ADAT 8
Transmitter 1:
ISO channel : -1
ISO speed : 2
Nb audio channels : 10
Nb midi channels : 0
AC3 caps : 0x00000000
AC3 enable : 0x00000000
Channel names :
ADAT 9
ADAT 10
ADAT 11
ADAT 12
ADAT 13
ADAT 14
ADAT 15
ADAT 16
SPDIF L
SPDIF R
RX param space:
Nb of recv : 2
Receiver 0:
ISO channel : 2
Sequence start : 0
Nb audio channels : 16
Nb midi channels : 1
AC3 caps : 0x00000000
AC3 enable : 0x00000000
Channel names :
DAW Out 1 (L)
DAW Out 2 (R)
DAW Out 3 (LS)
DAW Out 4 (RS)
DAW Out 5 (C)
DAW Out 6 (Sub)
DAW Out 7
DAW Out 8
DAW Out 9
DAW Out 10
DAW Out 11
DAW Out 12
DAW Out 13
DAW Out 14
DAW Out 15
DAW Out 16
Receiver 1:
ISO channel : 3
Sequence start : 0
Nb audio channels : 10
Nb midi channels : 0
AC3 caps : 0x00000000
AC3 enable : 0x00000000
Channel names :
ADAT 9
ADAT 10
ADAT 11
ADAT 12
ADAT 13
ADAT 14
ADAT 15
ADAT 16
DAW Out 17
DAW Out 18
10:10:15.791 JACK connection change.
10:10:15.801 Server configuration saved to
"/home/b/.jackdrc".
10:10:15.805 Statistics reset.
10:10:15.839 Client activated.
10:10:15.858 JACK connection graph change.
10:23:21.844 Client deactivated.
10:23:21.851 JACK is stopping...
jack main caught signal 15
no message buffer overruns
10:23:22.325 JACK was stopped successfully.

Bob

231-499-3352

231-499-3352

still can not start
jack with firewire.  I'm running a Firebox, 32bit
11.04 studio.  Jack
verbose output below.  Please help, let me konw if
you need any other
info to assist:

20:21:50.794 JACK is starting...
20:21:50.795 /usr/bin/jackd -v -dfirewire -r44100
-p1024 -n3
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or
directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
20:21:50.902 JACK was started with PID=1895.
jackdmp 1.9.7
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to
redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for
details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Jack: Create non RT thread
Jack: ThreadHandler: start
Jack: JackDriver::Open capture_driver_name =
Jack: JackDriver::Open playback_driver_name =
Jack: JackEngine::ClientInternalOpen: name = system
Jack: JackEngine::AllocateRefNum ref = 0
Jack: JackPosixSemaphore::Allocate name =
jack_sem.1000_default_system
val = 0
Jack: JackEngine::NotifyAddClient: name = system
Jack: JackGraphManager::SetBufferSize size = 1024
Jack: JackConnectionManager::DirectConnect first:
ref1 = 0 ref2 = 0
Jack: JackGraphManager::ConnectRefNum cur_index = 0
ref1 = 0 ref2 = 0
Jack: JackDriver::SetupDriverSync driver sem in flush
mode
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Open
Jack: Bind: addr.sun_path /dev/shm/jack_default_1000_0
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::BuildPoolTable size = 1
Jack: JackEngine::Open
Jack: Connect: addr.sun_path /dev/shm/jack_default_1000_0
Jack: JackEngine::ClientInternalOpen: name = freewheel
Jack: JackEngine::AllocateRefNum ref = 1
Jack: JackPosixSemaphore::Allocate name =
jack_sem.1000_default_freewheel val = 0
Jack: JackEngine::NotifyAddClient: name = freewheel
Jack: JackConnectionManager::DirectConnect first:
ref1 = 1 ref2 = 1
Jack: JackGraphManager::ConnectRefNum cur_index = 0
ref1 = 1 ref2 = 1
Jack: JackDriver::SetupDriverSync driver sem in flush
mode
Jack: JackFFADODriver::Attach fBufferSize 1024
fSampleRate 44100
libffado 2.999.0- built Mar 28 2011 17:44:19
firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
Cannot attach audio driver
Jack: JackDriver::Close
Jack: JackConnectionManager::DirectDisconnect last:
ref1 = 1 ref2 = 1
Jack: JackGraphManager::DisconnectRefNum cur_index =
0 ref1 = 1 ref2 = 1
Jack: JackEngine::ClientCloseAux ref = 1
Jack: JackGraphManager::RemoveAllPorts ref = 1
Jack: JackPosixSemaphore::Destroy
Jack: JackEngine::Close
Jack: JackClientSocket::Close
Jack: JackServerSocket::Close
/dev/shm/jack_default_1000_0
Jack: JackDriver::Close
Jack: JackConnectionManager::DirectDisconnect last:
ref1 = 0 ref2 = 0
Jack: JackGraphManager::DisconnectRefNum cur_index =
0 ref1 = 0 ref2 = 0
Jack: JackEngine::ClientCloseAux ref = 0
Jack: JackGraphManager::RemoveAllPorts ref = 0
Jack: JackPosixSemaphore::Destroy
Jack: no message buffer overruns
Jack: ThreadHandler: exit
Jack: JackPosixThread::Stop
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
Jack: Succeeded in unlocking 82213148 byte memory area
Jack: JackShmMem::delete size = 0 index = 0
Jack: ~JackDriver
no message buffer overruns
Jack: ~JackDriver
Jack: Succeeded in unlocking 1012 byte memory area
Jack: JackShmMem::delete size = 0 index = 1
Jack: cleaning up shared memory
Jack: cleaning up files
Jack: unregistering server `default'
Failed to start server
20:21:51.386 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
20:21:52.916 Could not connect to JACK server as
client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server.
Please check the
messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or
directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

Tim

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: