Has somebody a stable Ubuntu Studio NATTY 64-bit?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon May 30 21:21:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 16:35 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> [...]
>         > if i relax my JACK settings a bit, the system becomes stable
>         again.
>

>         I'm not abreast of the times regarding to the professional
>         audio work
>         that costs much money. Some years ago computers were only used
>         in the
>         studio, for live recordings or orchestra sessions stand-alone
>         devices
>         analog and/or digital were used. I remember one session at the
>         Sender
>         Berlin, Al Schmitt came from the USA and the equipment was a
>         bus from
>         France, the only computer was for the Neve's Flying Faders
>         (fader
>         automation ;) and this computer was invisible ;). The recorder
>         was a
>         digital Sony tape recorder. I wonder if somebody like Al
>         Schmitt would
>         use any computer today, so I did a google pic search ...
>         there's
>         something in the background :D ...
>         http://www.grammy.com/files/imagecache/photo_gallery_full_size_image/news/producera_maury_60232914_max.jpg?1296662944
>
>         Btw. he's one of the few very likeable professional engineers
>         I met,
>         most of those VIP engineers are complete assholes.
>         I should have thought he won't use a computer, but I guess I
>         was
>         mistaken.
>
>         OTOH, if you take a look at this kind of studios, e.g.
>         http://www.chicksingernight.com/contest/Recording-TheVillage.jpg it
>         might be that those computers are quasi stand-alone-devices,
>         customized
>         to the whole equipment.
>
>         I very often asked the community to give me the name of at
>         least one big
>         audio studio using Linux and I always noticed that they not
>         really know
>         what a professional studio is.
>
>         What ever those guys are using, it's not Ardour2 ;).
>
>         http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=al+schmitt+audio
>         +engineer&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=599&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
>
>         Hm? Bruce Sweeden? A bossom friend of Dirk Brauner ... Oops
>         this is the
>         correct writing "Bruce Swedien"
>
>         There are monitors in the background, unfortunately tze pics
>         are just
>         thumbnails. http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=Bruce+Swedien
>         +audio
>         +engineer&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=599&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
>
> are you saying professional studios dont run ardour?.. to be clear, i
> was pointing out that ANY DAW, on any OS can become unstable, and i
> was also pointing out that if you are experiencing instability with
> ardour, feel free to properly report the issue so all of us can take
> advantage of the bug reporting and fixing.
>

> as far as pro studios running ardour, my studio runs ardour. so does

This studio might be a good studio, don't get me wrong, but it has
nothing in common with the real big studios. I guess the difference is
visible ;). Anyway, the productions from this studio could be very good,
I don't know it, but it's a small studio. I call this a home recording
studio.

> , and of course there is/was the
> http://www.sae.edu/en-gb/content/80/Ardour_-_SAE_Edition .

Haha SAE, in Germany they are an absolute joke, never met a good
engineer from SAE, of cause they are important customers, even for
professional companies that sell equipment. But forget SAE, it's
completely non-serious. SAE are crooks in Germany! They aren't
professional, Brauner sold stuff to them, we know SAE. It's an
non-serious school.

> there are plenty others if you want to google around and look them up.
> i dont feel i need to defend ardour to anyone. if it works for you,
> use it, and if it doesnt, then use what works for you. theres no
> shortage of DAW's, even in linux (such as http://www.renoise.com/).
> HOWEVER, do not help spread a false idea that linux and/or ardour is
> not up to the task. are there limitations? of course. i think all
> DAW's/OS's are going to have limitations. AFAIK, we dont really have a
> good easy way to do 5.1 mixing in linux. video production software is
> what it is. ardour2 doesnt have MIDI support, but version 3 will/does.
> for me the combination of JACK + ubuntustudio with all the apps that
> support JACK out of the box, and the interconnectivity that that gives
> me is a win. if i did more MIDI sequencing, i might have a different
> opinion, but i hope ardour3 is a good answer to that particular
> workflow.

How often did you record big orchestras in studio halls? I guess you and
I we are talking about different things, when we are talking about
professional audio engineering. I'm not talking about my home MIDI
music, I'm talking about the jobs I did and about the jobs other people
still do. If Ardour2 would crash you might need to repeat a 60 minutes
recording with 30 musicians and a large studio hall, a studio bus etc.,
this is very much money.

> PLEASE help us spread the work about how capable the software we have
> is. if you prefer using protools or whatever, thats great, and i
> personally welcome the constructive discussions of those differences,
> and what is working well, and what is not, and why cubase or protools
> (or whatever) is preferred. but please dont spread any misinformation
> about how ardour is not capable.

*chuckle* You spread misinformation. 1. I'm not pro protools!!! 2.
Ardour2 can't be used. A crash could cost thousands of $.

> a preference is a preference, but ardour is awesome, and utilized by
> professionals all over the world.

Thats not true! I like Ardour2. It's very, very good, but you can't do
professional work with it.

> i apologize if i misunderstood you, i can be defensive about the
> software and community im passionate about.

There's nothing bad with home recording. I'm poor and I like to get
FLOSS home recording software. But audio engineering was my job.

Best,

Ralf