Natty and ICE1712

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri May 27 16:31:44 UTC 2011

Hi :)

for Natty it's the same as it is for Maverick. My Envy24 sound card
doesn't work, even after editing the ICE1712.conf, that btw. now differs
by default a little bit to older versions of this file. I only added
everything that is marked by ######################.
I won't try to fix it by pseudo-disabling PA as I did for Maverick,
because today my dealer sent the RME HDSPe AIO card, hence I should get
it tomorrow morning and using my two Envy24 cards for MIDI should work
without any tweaks.
Anyway, this needs improvement.

spinymouse at natty:~$
diff /mnt/maverick/usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf /usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf
35,40c35,57
< 	type route
< 	ttable.0.0 1
< 	ttable.1.1 1
< 	slave.pcm {
< 		type hw
< 		card $CARD
---
> 	type asym
> 	playback.pcm {
> 		type route
> 		ttable.0.0 1
> 		ttable.1.1 1
> 		slave.pcm {
> 			type hw
> 			card $CARD
> 		}
>                 #### fix PA issue ####
>                 slave.format S32_LE
>                 ######################
> 		slave.channels 10
> 	}
> 	capture.pcm {
> 		type route
> 		ttable.0.0 1
> 		ttable.1.1 1
> 		slave.pcm {
> 			type hw
> 			card $CARD
> 		}
> 		slave.channels 12
42,45d58
<         #### fix PA issue ####
<         slave.format S32_LE
<         slave.channels 10
<         ######################
63a77
> 	slave.channels 10
85a100
> 	slave.channels 10

OT:

I'll build a kernel-rt. I guess test scenarios like this are
meaningless: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RealTime

On-board HDA Intel at 44.1KHz, 64 frames/period, 2 periods/buffer = 2.9
ms latency? This is what a really good card is able to do when using a
kernel-rt. Never ever an integrated HDA surround sound device has the
capability to do this duplex for a real audio session, with or without a
kernel-rt. I often read about 3 periods/buffer and many issues.

The fix latency anyway is completely irrelevant for most usages. Jitter
and sync for the channels are important.

Cheers!

Ralf