Issues after installing Ubuntu Studio Natty 64-bit

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu May 26 21:47:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 16:35 -0500, Scott Lavender wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 10:52 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:
>         > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Ralf Mardorf
>         > <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>         > <snip>
>         > >> > The GRUB menu entries also, as usual, are a PITA.
>         > >>
>         > >> Again, quite intriguing. How are they a pain?
>         > >
>         > > # cd /boot/grub
>         > > # cp -pr grub.cfg grub.cfg.natty
>         > > # update-grub2
>         > > # cp -pr grub.cfg grub.cfg.bad
>         > > # cp -pr grub.cfg.natty grub.cfg
>         > >
>         > > See attachments, "video", screen resolution, wanted
>         entries differ
>         > > between what I need (manually edited, grub.cfg) and what
>         is
>         > > auto-generated (grub.cfg.bad). This can be much more
>         worse. I tided up
>         > > my HDDs, before I did this, there were a billion distros
>         listed, that
>         > > were not installed anymore.
>         >
>         > Manually editing grub.cfg is bad.  Please RTFM.
>         >

>         Without editing it, the menu here would be unusable. The files
>         that
>         should be edited can't be used to set up a good grub.cfg.
>

>         --
>
> I think under GRUB2 users are encouraged to create additional menu
> entry files rather than edit the grub.cfg file manually.
>
> After running update-grub2 the grub.cfg file is updated to include the
> additional menu entries.
>
> I could be mistaken however.

You are right, this is how it should work, but it doesn't. And btw. I
wonder that for startup a video is needed. If I wish to see a movie, I
won't boot an operating system. Splash screens should be disabled by
default. I like to see messages at startup without pushing Esc or F2 and
I wish to have a low screen resolution for startup.
Until now I know how to edit grub.cfg, but it became harder for every
new distro release. One day I might switch back to GRUB1 ;), editing
menu.lst never was an issue.

OT:

There only is one very serious issue for my Maverick and Natty. he
mouse-wheel issue is independent of having an xorg.conf or not.

Sometimes the wheel is ok and sometimes it doesn't work. The mouse isn't
broken, it's only for Maverick and Natty. There were no issues with any
of my other installs, resp. there isn't an issue for Suse 11.2, wich I
still kept, when tiding up my HDDs.