Sound cards (Was: Re: no sound

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat May 21 00:04:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 10:54 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> Ralph,
>

> the sound card *cant* have anything to do with the audio that is
> generated by software synths.

Again, a misunderstanding, perhaps regarding to my broken English.
There're two issues, one is caused by my sound cards, they do produce a
muddy bass, the other issue has nothing to do with my sound cards. A
recording internal Linux, without the sound cards involved does cause
loss here. Audible loss, you don't need trained or good ears to hear it.

> this is not a grey area. and expert such as yourself might want to
> look at the source code for the software in question

I can't read C and much more worse, never coded for modern PCs.

> , and see what about the hardware is being utilized for rendering the
> audio. heres a test scenario: take all the sound devices out of the
> machine (or disable them). take a MIDI file and render it using JACK
> utilizing the 'dummy' driver. you can render the same file with a
> sound card in use, and share both of those here if you would like. *i
> am not talking about monitoring those sounds, OR recording them analog
> from the main outs of the sound card. by render, im thinking recording
> in ardour and exporting or exporting from something else.

No need to do this, because ... again ... the sound cards already aren't
involved. This was a misunderstanding.

Btw. doing the mastering for a "real song" might not work by an
exporting option. At least Qtractor can't do this for "faster than
real-time" included apps, in other words, DSSI plugins and especially
not for inserts, e.g. jconvolver.

That I wish to buy a good sound card has nothing to do with the loss
internal Linux on my machine (and I suspect on many other machines too,
at least I know some people who do have the same issue).