*Official Announcement:* Ubuntu Studio is switching to XFCE.

Robert Klaar nim.batu at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:21:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Scott Lavender <scottalavender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Robert Klaar <nim.batu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Well, either way you risk loosing supporters but in my opinion it's much
>> worse to risk being outdated than getting a bit of disruption for some
>> time(and I can't see how this can get so disruptive to a serious
>> producer/artist that it get's such a big problem, but this is just my
>> opinion).
>>

>> --
>>
>> Hi Robert!
>
> I have a question about this statement...Why do you think XFCE is
> "outdated"?
>
> I think XFCE can look *quite* nice.  I've quickly found and linked a screen
> shot to demonstrate. [1]

I wouldn't say that Xfce is outdated, I was just trying to say that the
concept might be outdated and that a change like this in my opinion seems
pretty ok, to me it seems like Gnome 3 is getting a lot of heat for nothing,
most things still seems to be avaliable, but I'm not using things like
applets either so maybe I'm missing something that's vital to some.

> I'm not sure I agree with your assertion about disrupting a serious
> producer/artist however.  Just changing the UI to the point where a person's
> comfortable and favoured workflow will not work would cause quite a
> reaction.  I don't want to imagine the reaction if we switched to something
> that was buggy where we lost functionality or it crashed often.

Yes, but I don't think that's going to be the case. However this might
depend on what kind of user you are and again this should be based on what
users US is trying to attract. Personally I would say that I'm somewhat in
between, I've been using linux on and of since 2005 and I know my way around
it, but I'm also more of an artist really than a programmer and find that
many times these two collide. Say, I'm setting up my connections for jack
and get really technical about this stuff, I like to get it to run smoothly,
connect stuff via. jackeq so that I can have individual volume controls
between say a sampler and my web-browser, all this is nice but has nothing
to do with me actually making any music. These examples aren't really
problems but say perhaps that I need to get an rt-kernel installed because
my computer is to slow , in theory this is simple and mostly it is but from
experience I seem to encounter at least a dozen of problems related to
something in my "music-making" chain of programs. My geeky side doesn't mind
fixing these issues but at the same time they take away a lot of time that
could be spent making music.

But that's me, and then we have those who like to get very technical(maybe
your average Linux user perhaps) that spend decades configuring and
customizing, and to them it's not so much about making music/art as to the
many ways it can be made. However, I think most artists is neither of the
above. What these people wan't is to have something that looks nice and
inspiring, something that's stable and something that's pretty advanced so
that they can focus on their music/art instead of having to spend a day
configuring first.

And this, I think, is the direction Ubuntu and US HAS been taking for the
past year at least, and I do like this a lot as I'm sure others of the above
group do as well. This was also something that I felt had been taken further
when testing Gnome 3 and I think reverting to Xfce would be, in this sense,
taking a step back. I think US has become more than just a system for people
with lot's of knowledge in linux, computers in general and who think that
people that use A.) Macs are hipsters B.) Windows are stupid.

But I guess this is all about who we're trying to reach and if we're not
trying to attract these people but "people who're already used to Linux and
ALSO like to make music/other forms of art then maybe switching to Xfce is
exactly what's best.

Best,
Robert K