*Official Announcement:* Ubuntu Studio is switching to XFCE.

ScottALavender at gmail.com ScottALavender at gmail.com
Mon May 16 15:34:38 UTC 2011

On , Ralf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 17:12 +0200, Ralf wrote:

> > On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 10:24 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:

> > > Ralph, im going to assume a question here. that question would be...

> > > "will the ubuntustudio metapackages *require* XFCE?"

> > > theres one metapackage right now called ubuntustudio-desktop. that

> > > would be the one that would pull XFCE in, and switch DE's. theres no

> > > reason why the others should do that, or need to do that, and thats a

> > > very valid point that i will keep in mind as we move forward. this

> > > question you posed also gave me a great idea. maybe we can just take

> > > the current ubuntustudio-desktop (with gnome2), leave it as-is (so

> > > there is no maintenance) rename it ubuntustudio-desktop-gnome, and

> > > leave that in place as long as gnome2 is around. in that way, a user

> > > could install the current ubuntu vanilla, and get switched to the good

> > > 'ol gnome current setup that we all know and love by running sudo

> > > apt-get install ubuntustudio-destkop-gnome. this package could be

> > > around as long as ubuntu has gnome2 in the repo. i will ask how

> > > challenging that could be to implement that, unless you would like to

> > > take that on Ralph? it would be great if you could help us

> > > constructively resolve some of these issues users are having with this

> > > UI switch.

> > A good idea to provide 2 different desktop meta packages, if somebody

> > has the time and knowledge to maintain the GNOME package.

> > I might have some time to contribute some work, but I guess not the

> > knowledge to help here. Resp. how could I (and perhaps other people)

> > contribute something regarding to the DE issue?

> > Ralf

> PS: Pardon? No maintenance? What's the difference between a Ubuntu

> vanilla GNOME and the GNOME by the Ubuntu Studio package?

Hi Ralf!

This may be one of those huge misconceptions that the Ubuntu Studio team is
vast and robust. Alas, neither presumptions are correct sadly.

The Ubuntu Studio team does not maintain any GNOME packages. We maintain a
ubuntustudio- package that uses gconf settings to change GNOME settings.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
ScottL