*Official Announcement:* Ubuntu Studio is switching to XFCE.

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 14:24:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Ralf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> The averaged Ubuntu user isn't a home recording or professional studio
> user. A long time ago I used KDE3 (on Suse and Debian). When they
> stopped KDE3 and switched to KDE4, I switched to GNOME. KDE4 has a lot
> of advantages, but the workflow changed and it became less good for the
>

> If it's similar for the change from GNOME2 to GNOME3, it would be nice
> to get an already set up substitution.
>
> Installing Ubuntu Studio from the Ubuntu Studio media caused issues
> here, installing Edubunt + Ubuntu Studio packages result in a good DAW.
> So for me the only problem might be, that installing the Ubuntu Studio
> packages might force me to keep XFCE too, even if I shouldn't use it,
> but yes, it's no big deal to have several WMs/DEs installed and to chose
> one, when logging in. XFCE shouldn't become a dependency for all Ubuntu
> Studio meta packages.

Ralph, im going to assume a question here. that question would be...
"will the ubuntustudio metapackages *require* XFCE?"
theres one metapackage right now called ubuntustudio-desktop. that would be
the one that would pull XFCE in, and switch DE's. theres no reason why the
others should do that, or need to do that, and thats a very valid point that
i will keep in mind as we move forward. this question you posed also gave me
a great idea. maybe we can just take the current ubuntustudio-desktop (with
gnome2), leave it as-is (so there is no maintenance) rename it
ubuntustudio-desktop-gnome, and leave that in place as long as gnome2 is
around. in that way, a user could install the current ubuntu vanilla, and
get switched to the good 'ol gnome current setup that we all know and love
by running sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-destkop-gnome. this package
could be around as long as ubuntu has gnome2 in the repo. i will ask how
challenging that could be to implement that, unless you would like to take
that on Ralph? it would be great if you could help us constructively resolve
some of these issues users are having with this UI switch.

> Regarding to computer resources, the best environment I ever used, was a
> frame based environment. Ion2. But short-cuts aren't good when you've
> got one hand on the guitar, the other on the mixing console and you need
> to start the recording with your nose.
>
> Ralf

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/