*Official Announcement:* Ubuntu Studio is switching to XFCE.

Robert Klaar nim.batu at gmail.com
Sun May 15 17:41:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Michael Dickson <
mike.dickson at rivendellnh.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 11:14 -0500, Scott Lavender wrote:
> > I apologize for singling out this post, but...
> >
> > On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 3:37 AM, aYo Binitie <ayobinitie at gmail.com>
> >
> > I challenge you (not just you aYo, but everyone) who thinks XFCE isn't
> > "super" or good or isn't GNOME 2 to actually try it.  Try it for a
> > week.  A day, even.
>
> Umm,  maybe the same could be said for Gnome3...
>
> Rather than dump it (or Unity which will apparently be the "default"
> Ubuntu desktop) for yet another DE which itself has pros and cons.
> Being direct, I haven't seen a "viable" argument yet for why a change is
> necessary. Except perhaps that some folks don't like Gnome3.
>
> And sorry, that's not a whine. Its me stating the truth as I see it.
>
> Mike

I agree with this, the only argument I've heard so far is that it's
different and sure, installed 11.04(with unity) to my laptop I use for
backup a few days ago and it is different but nothing that you won't get
used to, in some ways I like it even better, for one it's layout seems a bit
more simplistic than I find standard "gnome-based" systems to be. Even
though this might change workflow for some, the cons of switching to a
fairly less supported DE in return for this, are probably worse. If there is
one thing I've learned in these years using linux is to go with the
mainstream and use what people use most, not doing so might land you in a
position where something as basic, for a musician, as getting your soundcard
to work seem hopeless due to lack of support. The main strength in Ubuntu,
especially, has always been the vast number of people who use it, this is
also my main reason for using US, because it's basically Ubuntu, with a lot
of useful stuff added to it, forking of now might cut you out of the circle
in the future. Even though XFCE is fairly similar to gnome, when gnome
changes and Ubuntu with it so will the knowledge built up by it's vast
community and I think US would be wise to stay as close as possible to it,
and even though switching DE's is not really that drastic, changing
something like this might make it a lot more harder for an artist or a
producer etc., with little computer experience, solving problems as the
solution found in the forums might not be enough. Now, this is not a problem
for most people who use linux since you get used to these things after a
while switching distro's aso. and in general you get better at it but not
everyone does this, especially not your typical artist type, that's why many
musicians prefer mac's.

And that's what most people are like, I think it's a bad idea to limit US
only to people with experience in linux and even though switching DE's might
not do this now, it sets a path towards it.