Recording with Alesis IO/2, what about the "noise"?

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Thu Mar 17 20:26:26 UTC 2011

Am Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:31:23 -0500
schrieb Timothy Cook <timothywayne.cook at gmail.com>:

> I have this device as well.  When I first used it I had the same issue.
> Playing around with the settings in QJackCtl finally eliminated it.

Hm, I don't remember such an issue. I do remember ground loop noise induced with the help of the laptop's crappy wiring, but that did not appear on recordings and was also helped by exploiting the balanced outputs (ground lift).
But what I can imagine is that the input gain is set too high -- noise characteristics of amplifiers are not best at full tilt. When JACK settings fix it ... then it's a weird side effect of the driver, certain period setup? Funny.

> In Ardour the is an option to have Ardour do the monitoring.

But I do have to wonder about that - direct, latency-free (virtually) hardware monitoring via the "monitor - usb" knob is a good thing to have, and use. But well, if you need your guitar distortions applied, I assume you use something like Rakarrack in chain with ardour ... and that can be routed to your monitor output via qjackctl, independently of ardour. I just say that someone who uses Ardour for some years now and never bothered to get monitoring inside Ardour.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.