Software to play music in different temperaments?

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 14:45:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Angel de Vicente <angelv at iac.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 12/03/11 03:43, Tim Cook wrote:
>
>> I am not familiar with that app.  But I believe Audacity will  do what
>> you want as well.
>>

> Audacity??? Say I want to experiment with a 19-TET (19 tone equal
> temperament) musical scale. Is there really some plugin or something in
> Audacity that lets me try this? I really doubt it, but I have only used
> Audacity for very simple recordings, so if you know if this is really
> possible, let me know.
>
> As for Scala, I have tried it, and all the mathematical stuff in the
> program seems to work no problem in my Ubuntu Studio (so for instance, I can
> easily see the frequencies that such a 19-TET scale should have), but I
> haven't figured out yet how to plug that information into something that
> will actually produce the sounds (apparently it should work with playmidi
> and timididy, both of them installed, but I didn't manage to configure it
> properly... YET :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ángel de Vicente
> --
> http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/
>
> try yoshimi
http://yoshimi.sourceforge.net/
yoshimi is a newer fork of http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/

both are in the repos now... the 32bit version of yoshimi in buntu has a
glitch in the tuning, so you need to use a different version... i use this
one from autostatic's PPA
http://ppa.launchpad.net/autostatic/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/y/yoshimi/

...if you have a 32bit machine, and just want to look real quick to see if
this is what you need, just sudo apt-get install zynaddsubfx and check it
out

> High Performance Computing Support PostDoc
> Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias

> ADVERTENCIA: Sobre la privacidad y cumplimiento de la Ley de Protección de
> Datos, acceda a http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php
> WARNING: For more information on privacy and fulfilment of the Law
> concerning the Protection of Data, consult
> http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php?lang=en

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/