Chiming in on the 'cheap-usb-audio-interface' conversation

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 19:59:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 16:35 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 22:28 +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:

> > > Still sad that that's necessary, isn't it?
> >
> > No, ground lift is even used for professional studio equipment, e.g. the
> > Brauner VM1 power supply. It's not cutting ground, but decoupling it by
> > a capacitor. At home I added a ground lift to my SPX90II, without a
> > capacitor, I simply cut ground if needed and I seldom need to use it,
> > but it can happen that it's needed even in professional studios. This
> > shouldn't be needed for equipment that durable is installed to studio
> > racks, but could happen for additional equipment.
>
> PS: I read that diodes should be the right way for a ground lift (a
> resistor and capacitor could be add in addition), it's said that the
> diodes need to be able to stand more but 1A, otherwise they burn, before
> the fuse will do it. It's also said that usually only tube equipment
> should be dangerous, when ground is completely cut, but I don't think
> so.
> Btw. I had potential differences for an analog mixer and my guitar -
> with ground added to the strings - connected to a transistor guitar amp,
> when using the same power feed. There wasn't noise, but it wasn't funny
> to touch the strings and the mixer at the same time. The amp was
> connected to the ground, while the mixer shipped with a european plug =
> no ground, but the one on the neutral.

i know this thread is long since dead, but i did get my tascam 122l working
recently.. i found a forum post at linuxmusicians suggesting starting JACK
like this...

jackd -RP50 -dalsa -dusb_stream:1 -r44100 -p64 -n2

worked great, although i did tweak to -p512 for somethings... heres the link

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1073

--
MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/