changing to debian?

mentoj dija mentoj_dija at gmx.de
Thu Jun 30 19:58:15 UTC 2011

On 30.06.2011 19:14, Mike Holstein wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM, mentoj dija <mentoj_dija at gmx.de
> <mailto:mentoj_dija at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     well, i'm using ubuntu for 4 years now. but i finally have enough
>     of it. i'm tiered of updating a hole system after half a year. i
>     know, that can be helpfull, but its also annoying. and the change
>     to unity clearly showed me, that its going into a bad direction,
>     which is not any more focused on the users. in my eyes.
>     i probably will stay with Ubuntu studio for music production, but
>     for my daily work, i defenitly will change to debian (testing).
>     Unfortunately i'm not smart enough to compile a real-time-kernl by
>     myself. Thats why i have to stay with 10.04 for my studio distro.
>
> you might want to look at something with a rolling release (linux mint
> debian edition comes to mind)... personally, i run the LTS version of
> ubuntu (LTS = long term support) those are supported for 5 years, and
> come around every 2 years. the latest LTS release is lucid 10.04. this
> means i do *not* update/upgrade every 6 months.

yes, of course i know about the LTS. but again, i have old versions of
the software then.

> unity is just one of the desktop options we have with ubuntu, if it
> doesnt meet your needs/wants, check out XFCE, KDE, GNOME or LXDE (or
> any of the other options)... this is however the ubuntustudio mailing
> list, and we are not planning on shipping the unity DE as default
> anytime soon, so you may want redirect your valid critiques of the
> unity desktop to the ubuntu desktop team mailing list
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop ... (the
> desktop team wiki page : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam )

i know. and i realy like the idea of Ubuntu studio with xfce. I just
think, the unity-thing shows, what ubuntu is going to be. and i just
don't know, if thats the right thing for a studio distro

> we have several PPA contributors for -realtime kernel options. very
> soon we will not need a different kernel for these tasks. here is the
> official word from the debian multimedia team about realtime kernels,
> and the lack of one for debian (source
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia#Realtime_kernel )
>
> "The Debian Multimedia team is not working on including a kernel image
> with the realtime-patches applied in Debian. Much of the
> realtime-patches have been accepted in the mainline kernel, to the
> point that for most purposes the stock Debian kernel is suitable even
> for realtime-like work."
>
> if you end up using debian, i have heard good things about the
> liquorix kernel http://liquorix.net/ , but AFAIK the distro AVlinux
> has a custom RT kernel that is available somewhere for download and
> can be used with debian.

cheers. i check that out.

> all of that being said, you can feel free to get involved in any area
> of ubuntu (ubuntustudio for example) and help guide it in the
> direction you feel it should go. if that seems like to much to take
> on, all of this software is open and freely available.. you can always
> make your own distro with whatever desktop environment, and whatever
> kernel, and whatever packages you want. AND, you can email this list
> with links to where to download and check it out...

yes i know. but i am just a stupid user. i have no idea of programming.
I only love the idea of a free music-production-central. and don't get
me wrong. i am sure, the US-development team is making the right
decisions after all.

woob on!