diagnostic tools to trace the reason xruns are happening?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 6 11:45:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 07:25 -0400, Mac wrote:
> I have not followed the previous posts in this thread so my comments
> may be tangential...
>
> In the past, the the firewire chipset being used was critical.
> Basically, there was limited success with anything other than the TI
> chipset.
>
> Multiple identical devices (i.e. 2 AF12's) on the firewire requires word clock.
>
> Mixed devices (i.e. one AF12 and one FIrepod) never worked in my tests
> and I don't believe could work.

I avoided to buy firewire, but now I've got issues with my RME PCI
express card ;).

Paul Davis on LAU some minutes ago mentioned, that firewire not only for
Linux and Windows is problematic, but also for Mac. The best solution to
get less issues seems to be the usage of PCI. But in the future there
might only be PCI express slots on mobos.

-- Ralf