diagnostic tools to trace the reason xruns are happening?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 6 08:31:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 11:16 +0900, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Echo Audiofire Pre 8 and worried about JACK's rondom XRUN.
> Fortunately I have a friend who is Linux-based system engineer and ask
> him this issue. Then he gave me two solutions.
>
> 1. see IRQ in /proc/interrupts
> 2. use HPET as system clock source

I'm using HPET when ever possible. Note that HPET is very problematic,
you'll run out of free HPET devices very soon. IMO at the moment it only
can be used as alsa seq timer, if you try using it with Jack, you are
limited to the HPET devices that are available, each application needs
it's own HPET device.

If you should use Jack1, than try Jack2. On my machine Jack1 never
worked.

To enable HR-timer/HPET run

	sudo chgrp audio /dev/hpet
        sudo chmod g+rw /dev/hpet
	sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer

$ jackd --help
               [ --clocksource OR -c [ c(ycle) | h(pet) | s(ystem) ]

Hth,

Ralf