Ubuntu Studio 64 bit & program availability

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:26:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:57:40 -0800
Casey Forslund <cforslund at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Before I decided to switch over to Linux/Ubuntu, I was contemplating an
> upgrade to a full 64 bit system. The one thing that stopped me was the lack
> of native 64 bit software in the Windows world (lots could be run in
> emulation mode or whatever, but it wasn't true 64 bit). My question is: How
> does the 64 bit transition work in Ubuntuland, i.e. will I be able to use
> all of the programs that come pre-installed with Ubuntu studio, and would
> they be true/native 64 bit, able to fully utilize 64 bit hardware etc?

Everything in the Ubuntu 64 bit repo is 64 bit, so will utilise your 64 bit hardware.  The only area where 64 bit apps are occasionally missing are proprietary drivers for some hardware eg some wireless card/dongles.  These are easily avoided though.  Whether things will run faster/better is another matter.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net