Fernando's comment on Ubuntu Distro's where the Tascam US-122 worked out of the box

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 12 17:55:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 10:54 -0600, Brian David wrote:
> For Maverick:
>
> There are no official real-time kernels available for Maverick.  Some
> people seem to have successfully used Bogani's Natty kernels with
> Maverick, so that is perhaps an option.  There are other PPAs
> available, as well, and you could build your own kernel, too.

I'm not copying from the terminal emulation, but typing it now, so there
might be some typos.

### Preparing to build the kernel

$ sudo -i
# uname -r

It should be 2.6.35-24-generic.

# synaptic

'fakeroot' might be already installed, but you additionally need to
install:

build-essential
crash
kexec-tools
makedumpfile
kernel-wedge

# apt-get build-dep linux

# synaptic

Install:

git-core
libncurse5
libncurse5-dev
asciidoc
binutils-dev
kernel-package

# usermod -a -G src your_username

Push Ctrl + D

$ cd /usr/src
$ wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.33.7.tar.bz2
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/patch-2.6.33.7.2-rt30.bz2

### Extracting the sources and patching the kernel
$ tar xjf linux-2.6.33.7.tar.bz2
$ rm linux-2.6.33.7.tar.bz2
$ mv linux-2.6.33.7 linux-2.6.33.7.2-rt30
$ ln -s linux-2.6.33.7.2-rt30 linux
$ cd linux
$ bunzip2 ../patch-2.6.33.7.2-rt30.bz2
$ patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.33.7.2-rt30
$ rm ../patch-2.6.33.7.2-rt30

### Editing a configuration

$ cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
$ make oldconfig
GROUP_SCHED y
Complete Preemption
anything else just enter
$ make menuconfig
Correct timer from 250Hz to 1000Hz
and disable debug info. If you wish too, you can optimise to your CPU,
e.g. Opteron/Athlon64/Hamkmer/K8 instead of the default Pentium-Pro.
Save
$ make oldconfig
Ther should be nothing to do.
$ gedit .config
Edit CONFIG_STAGING=y to CONFIG_STAGING is not set (use Ctrl + F to find
it).
$make oldconfig
There shouldn't be anything to do.

### Building the kernel
$ make-kpkg clean
(On a multi-core computer only: $ export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2)
$ make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image kernel-headers
$ sudo make clean
$ ls ..
$ sudo dpkg -i ../names_of_the_packages

While for this kernel-rt, for Lucid amd64, clean Ubuntu Studio, the
NVIDIA packages from the repositories will add modules to all kernels
in /boot, for Maverick this doesn't work on my Edubuntu + Ubuntu Studio
packages i386 Maverick.

Hth and that I didn't made to much typos or any other mistake when
writing this email,

Ralf