Chiming in on the 'cheap-usb-audio-interface' conversation

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 9 14:44:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 16:41 +0000, Fernando Gomes wrote:
> Can you make it work on Windows, to be sure that it isn't a
> hardware problem?

:( People shouldn't need Windows to test their hardware! When I started
with Linux (I never used Windows on my own computers) I needed to
install Windows, to test hardware, to get messages that my provider was
able to understand etc.. It's not correct to need Windows, if we decided
not to use it, as some people did.

On my PCs XP pro will work OOTB as a professional audio and MIDI
workstation, there never were any issues. I never had any Linux that was
even nearly as good. I anyway decided to use the less good Linux instead
of Windows. Ethics!

If somebody does install Windows and if he's fine with Windows and the
Non-ethics, I wonder why she/he should fix his not working Linux, but
directly use Windows.

Windows can't be the solution to fix issues with Linux. Nobody should
have Windows installed ;)!

I need to eat some children now ;)!

No flame, sorry, I recommended to test some hardware by Windows too, but
we shouldn't think about this.