Kubuntu 10.10 and real-time kernel

Alexandros Bitoulas albitoulas at yahoo.gr
Mon Feb 28 20:56:10 UTC 2011

Στις Δευ 28 Φεβ 2011 11:42:19 Ralf Mardorf γράψατε:
> On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 23:24 +0200, Alexandros Bitoulas wrote:
> > Hello Ralf! Firstly thank you for all your information and suggestions
> > for all your mails!
> >
> > >Στις Κυρ 27 Φεβ 2011 14:54:03 Ralf γράψατε:
> > > On my machine (ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor
> > >
> > > BE-2350, 2GB RAM, 2 PCI Terratec EWX 24/96 Envy24 cards and a NVIDIA
> > >
> > > GeForce 7200 GS graphics) Edubuntu 10.10 x86 plus Ubuntu Studio from
> >
> > the
> >
> > > repositories seems to be stable since I
> > >

> > > - build a kernel-rt by the attached script rt4us_[snip]
> > >
> > > (Note: for running the kernel-rt the package rtirq-init needs to be
> > >
> > > installed and the user has to be member of the group
> > >
> > > 'audio', /etc/security/limits.d is set up
> > >
> > > automatically by the packages)
> > >
> > > If you're booted to the current kernel 2.6.35-25-generic, you only
> > >
> > > need to push enter all the times.
> >
> > Does this script build the same kernel with the one if I just run sudo
> > apt-get install linux-rt linux-headers-rt ?
> >
> > I mean, is this script essential for my real-time performance? Is this
> > a better kernel for audio production?
> >
> > Thanks once again!
> >
> > Alex
>
> It's the latest kernel-rt, a kernel-rt from the repositories should be
> (nearly) the same.

Dear friends,

To Ralf: I had some problems with the script and didn't manage to build the
kernel (missing packages like make-kpkg and others which I couldn't even sudo
apt-get install them). Furthermore, If I got the right picture, this script
has a default configure scheme set up which probably is not suitable for my
hardware (am I right?) and due to my lack of knowledge and experience I
abandoned the efforts in order to not mis-configure something. For the record,
in 10.10 real-time and low-latency kernels are not included at the official
repositories.

After researching on the net I decided to install the low-latency or the real-
time kernel, after adding Alessio Igor Bogani's ppa to my system (Kubuntu
10.10, x64) with sudo add-apt-repository ppa:abogani/ppa.

However when I sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency or linux-realtime no
package can be found! I realized that this does not work for the 10.10 distro
as it is mentioned that it works only for Lucid or Natty!

What can I do to install the latest low-latency or real-time of Alesio Bogani?

I found also this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10072326&postcount=10
but it seems to download an older version of the low-latency and real-time
kernels?

Please, I need your advice!

Thanks,

Alex