wanted Ubuntu Studio hardware advice

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 14:01:14 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Mike Holstein <mikeh789 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2011 8:01 AM, "Peter Nodiff" <admin at rhythmrevolution.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Wanted: Ubuntu Studio hardware advice to build a PC (from New Egg or
> similar) especially video card... Pete
> >
> > --
>
> Intel

actually, to continue the thread "To build a PC, what hardware to run Ubuntu
Studio fast without overspending?", intel is usually well supported out of
the box... you dont really need a crazy fast graphics card for any of the
audio stuff, and most of the video stuff too id say... i would avoid VIA...
if it were me, i would look at my needs, for example, do i want 3D support
out of the box, with my workflow is a proprietary driver OK (proprietary
drivers with realtime kernels can be problematic), do i need dual
monitors?... i would find a list of devices at newegg or whatever, and start
googling... you dont need to google "ubuntustudio NVIDIA Quadro NVS
3100M"... searching "ubuntu NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M" will return more
results... i think most of us use free-cycled gear, so you might not find a
lot of folks with experience with the latest and greatest in graphics
cards... folks who need the fanciest newest graphics cards are typically
gamers, and the gaming community is arguably only recently able to consider
linux for gaming... if you are waiting for someone to link a card from
newegg and say "get this one", that might take a while...  but, if you find
a particular device, you might find someone with experience using it, or be
able to find a kernel dev online in the IRC, and ask how the support is...

--
MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/