How can I record my guitar with the T.BONE USB-1G?

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 16:18:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Alexandros Bitoulas <albitoulas at yahoo.gr>wrote:

> Στις Τρι 22 Φεβ 2011 01:29:20 Mike Holstein γράψατε:
> > On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Alexandros Bitoulas
> <albitoulas at yahoo.gr>wrote:
> > > Hello guys to all of you.
> > >
> > > I am a very newbie with the ubuntu studio, although I use kubuntu many
> > > years
> > > by now as a simple user. I play guitar and I want to record my playing
> > > for sending it for an audition at a jazz university!
> > >
> > > So, due to financial restrictions, I have just bought the T.BONE USB-1G
> > > from
> > > Thomman.
> > >

> http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_usb1g.htm?sid=a939dfae3529d54ead5d2523
> > > ae73a789
> > >
> > > However, I need your help to make it work, i.e record my guitar through
> > > any programme, like Ardour which I am trying to learn currently!
> > >
> > > Please, could someone guide me through the steps that I need to go, in
> > > order
> > > to be able to record my guitar?
> > >
> > > The only thing that I know to do is run on the konsole "lsusb" where I
> > > take
> > >

> > > alex at alex-ubuntu:~$ lsusb
> > > Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0d8c:0008 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
> > > Bus 002 Device 002: ID 093a:2460 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Q-TEC WEBCAM 100
> > > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> > > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> > > alex at alex-ubuntu:~$
> > >
> > > where C-media Electronics is the TBone usb (I suggest!)
> > >
> > > So, what do I have to do in order to be able to record through Ardour?
> > > Should
> > > I be able to see the usb device on QJack Connections manager?
> > >
> > > Thank you all in advance, all help is valuable!
> > >
> > > Alex
> > >

> > > its going to be challenging to talk you through getting JACK working
> via
> >
> > the mailing list... if you can come on the IRC, on freenode to either
> > #ubuntustudio or #opensourcemusicians ...you can check
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main to see if that
> > device is supported... im not a fan of those devices... ideally, you
> would
> > have a microphone on the amp, going through a decent preamp either before
> > or onboard an external audio interface... if you can return it, and get
> > something even as basic as
> > http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ucontrol_uca_202.htm and a mixer with
> > decent preamps such as http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_802.htm
> > ..so much more versatility and function...
> >
> > > --
>
> Thanks for the tips Mike. However currently I don't have a mic, so the cost
> would rise if I had to bye one.
>
> I checked at alsa site as you advised, but I cannot identify the Tbone with
> the specific ID 0d8c:0008 that lsusb returned. This means that the device
> is
> not supported? Or am I doing this the wrong way? Should I search the device
> with any other identification tag?

> [...]
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntustudio&uio=MTE9MjQ255

as far as the cost of microphones and gear, here in the US, i feel like if i
wanted to go in the studio and make little demo like what you are
suggesting, i could probably go 'on the cheap' and get time for $50 US per
hour... i would expect about 4 hours set-up and tracking time, and lets say
you go quick and dirty easy, and its an hour to mix... thats $250... that
behinger USB interface is about 30 bucks US, and a cheap mixer is about 70
(depending on what you want) and a shure 57 is about 80 bucks or so... thats
all under $200... is it going to be studio quality? of course not, but it'll
be decent, and give you pretty nice results... if you just need to knock
something out real quick, maybe going in the studio is not a bad idea... i
think its a good idea to tour studios and ask questions... you will *never*
see a 1/4 inch to USB interface in a studio, and you will also never see
guitar being recorded direct like that, especially for jazz where the tone
of the amp and instrument are so important to the color and definition...
that being said, you should be able to use what you want, and someone will
help troubleshoot that interface on the IRC in realtime, although i would
like to voice my personal opinion and suggest returning that device if you
still can... i would say, if you're not going to mic a cabinet, you might as
well go the super cheap and easy route and just fire up audacity and use the
mic on a laptop... audacity or something simpler, or something online like
http://www.aviary.com/tools/audio-editor or ustream...

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/