How can I record my guitar with the T.BONE USB-1G?

Alexandros Bitoulas albitoulas at yahoo.gr
Tue Feb 22 08:41:06 UTC 2011

Στις Τρι 22 Φεβ 2011 01:29:20 Mike Holstein γράψατε:
<albitoulas at yahoo.gr>wrote:
> > Hello guys to all of you.
> >
> > I am a very newbie with the ubuntu studio, although I use kubuntu many
> > years
> > by now as a simple user. I play guitar and I want to record my playing
> > for sending it for an audition at a jazz university!
> >
> > So, due to financial restrictions, I have just bought the T.BONE USB-1G
> > from
> > Thomman.
> >

> > http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_usb1g.htm?sid=a939dfae3529d54ead5d2523
> > ae73a789
> >
> > However, I need your help to make it work, i.e record my guitar through
> > any programme, like Ardour which I am trying to learn currently!
> >
> > Please, could someone guide me through the steps that I need to go, in
> > order
> > to be able to record my guitar?
> >
> > The only thing that I know to do is run on the konsole "lsusb" where I
> > take
> >

> > alex at alex-ubuntu:~$ lsusb
> > Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0d8c:0008 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
> > Bus 002 Device 002: ID 093a:2460 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Q-TEC WEBCAM 100
> > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> > alex at alex-ubuntu:~$
> >
> > where C-media Electronics is the TBone usb (I suggest!)
> >
> > So, what do I have to do in order to be able to record through Ardour?
> > Should
> > I be able to see the usb device on QJack Connections manager?
> >
> > Thank you all in advance, all help is valuable!
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > its going to be challenging to talk you through getting JACK working via
>
> the mailing list... if you can come on the IRC, on freenode to either
> #ubuntustudio or #opensourcemusicians ...you can check
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main to see if that
> device is supported... im not a fan of those devices... ideally, you would
> have a microphone on the amp, going through a decent preamp either before
> or onboard an external audio interface... if you can return it, and get
> something even as basic as
> http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ucontrol_uca_202.htm and a mixer with
> decent preamps such as http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_802.htm
> ..so much more versatility and function...
>
> > --

Thanks for the tips Mike. However currently I don't have a mic, so the cost
would rise if I had to bye one.

I checked at alsa site as you advised, but I cannot identify the Tbone with
the specific ID 0d8c:0008 that lsusb returned. This means that the device is
not supported? Or am I doing this the wrong way? Should I search the device
with any other identification tag?

However, in the case that I can have access to a mixer (borrow from a friend),
could I record my guitar only with the mixer?

Off-topic: Never had IRC before, can I join the chat with an ICQ account or
this is not the same case? :)

Thank you once again,

Alex