choosing typical desktop applications

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 15 01:56:48 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-studio-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com on behalf of Lawrence H. Bulk
Sent: Wed 12/14/2011 20:36
To: Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion
Subject: Re: choosing typical desktop applications

May I suggest as a photo viewing application Gwenview. I like this much
better than Ristretto.

+++

I don't know the names, but it's e.g. important to be able to move the pics with the mouse when full screen displays enlarged pics.

---

VLC

+++

I usually install all common video players, e.g. totem and vlc, since sometimes a vidio will be played only by one of the tons of video players I've got installed. Dunno what backend is able to play what formats, but already the frontends seem to cause issues.

---

K3b is a far better burner than Brasero and I would suggest that it be
incorporated as the default.

+++

K3B IS THE ONLY VALID ALL-AROUND BURNER. We anywa will have some KDE libs, we don't need Kate instead of Gedit etc., but we do need K3b.

:)

Ralf