Suspecting a PSU issue after adding music hardware

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Aug 17 16:39:46 UTC 2011

Hi :)

sometimes I need to isolate the PC from the mains and then turn it on
again, before it can boot. After startup did work, there are no issues.

Such trouble usually is caused in case of a too weak PSU. I wonder if my
PSU really is to weak. Some new hardware is mounted and there might be
several solutions to handle this issue, but before doing this, somebody
might have an idea how to troubleshoot, to ensure that it's really
caused by the PSU.

The BIOS's monitoring
Vcore Voltage 1.21V
3.3   Voltage 3.15V
5V    Voltage 4.75V
12V   Voltage 11.84

The PSU
Jersey CP4-420
AC Input 230V
PFC Passive
420W

A replacement, e.g. CP4-520 V2.0, also with a 12cm fan, does cost
31.50€. Would be 520W enough for the used hardware?

Another solution might be to use an active USB hub. A 4 port USB 2.0
hub, supporting 480, 12 und 1.5Mbit data transfer, with power supply,
does cost 5.50€. Perhaps this would solve the issue. I suspect such a
hub would add jitter, but I also suspect that MIDI jitter for the KORG
nanoKONTROL would be no issue.

Power APM configurations are disabled, just HPET is enabled. JumperFree
Configuration for all voltages is set to "auto". I suspect there's no
wakeup trick to solve the startup issue.

The old hardware
Mobo Asus M2A-VM HDMI, but instead of the HDMI thingy there's a passive
GeForce 7200 GS mounted to the PCI Express x16 slot. BIOS version 2302.

CPU AMD Athlon X2 dual-core processor BE-2350 2.1GHz 45W

RAM 2* 1GB AENEON DDR2 - 800 and 2* 1GB Kingston KVR800D2N5

Keyboard KWD-205 200mA PS/2
Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2 5V 15mA a wired ball mouse

PCI sound cards 2* TerraTec EWX 24/96

HDDs and DVD-RAM
SATA1 Samsung HD321KJ
SATA2 LG HL-DT-STDVD-RAM
SATA3 Samsung HD502HJ
No floppy disk drive

The new hardware
I needed to change the mouse by a "PowerKing Kaufland" wired optical USB
mouse "RM320 2k199125". Optical mice should have a higher current
consumption, than ball mice. OTOH it's said, hat regarding to PSU issues
USB should be an advantage.

I added a USB MIDI Korg nanoKONTROL, 100mA or less.

I added a new sound card to the PCI Express x1 and kept the old cards.
RME HDSPe AIO

Ciao,

Ralf