Making Music with FOSS

Seattle Chaz seattlechaz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 21:20:26 UTC 2011

> I'd like to watch the webcast too.
>
> But hang on a second folks, we're free software advocates, aren't we?
> So
> why are we trying to find work-around, when the problem is that a
> webcast about free software should have been published in a free
> format?
>
> Surely it would make more sense for us, as a group, to say to the
> publisher something like, "This is no good, please can you find a way
> of
> publishing that meets the needs of your target audience, as this
> clearly
> doesn't."
>
> Would anyone care to join me in this?
>
> Mark

        Mark:

        Point well-taken.  I was and remain irritated that the media was
        not archived in a FOSS format, but I put that aside as I was
        more concerned with consuming the media.  I supposed I've
        grudgingly accepted that some media distributors will premier
        their content in proprietary format then later release it in a
        more FOSS friendly container.

        I notice that the excellent "Digital Media Primer for Geeks" was
        released in multiple formats, and I would have expected the
        "Making Music with FOSS" sponsors to do the same. Certainly, it
        is feasible.

        http://xiph.org/video/vid1.shtml

        I agree that this issue should be brought up (again!) to the
        powers that be.  I would happily co-sign a letter of concern if
        we can identify a specific point of contact.