Making Music with FOSS

Angel de Vicente angelv at
Mon Apr 25 08:50:53 UTC 2011

On 23/04/11 21:16, Seattle Chaz wrote:
> Last week, hosted a web-cast, Making Music with FOSS. I
> missed it, but I was confident that the media would be archived, which
> is indeed the case. However, the media file is in the proprietary .arf
> format from WebEx. Though I searched extensively, I was unable to locate
> a method for converting the file to a more usable form.
> Of course, I COULD just view the materials on-line, but where's the fun
> in that? The download-able media player supports only Windows and Mac. I
> was about to hold my nose and install the player when I was inspired to
> attempt a Wine installation. I downloaded the WebEx .arf Player, set the
> executable permission on the .msi file and booted it under Wine. Wine
> happily took it and installed it and the downloaded media played without
> a hiccup.
> Web-cast:
> Webcast Playback:
> <>
> WebEx Player:

I tried this, but no luck. The WebEx .arf Player got installed correctly
under Wine, and it says "Network Recording Player Version 2.17.1", but
when I try to open the file Making Music with FOSS.arf, it complains
with "Unknown file format. You may update your Network Recording Player
and try again." Anyone else got that? (I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine

Ángel de Vicente

High Performance Computing Support PostDoc
Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias
ADVERTENCIA: Sobre la privacidad y cumplimiento de la Ley de Protección de Datos, acceda a
WARNING: For more information on privacy and fulfilment of the Law concerning the Protection of Data, consult