[Solved] Elegantly Disabling PulseAudio in Ubuntu 10.04/10.10

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 12 09:32:21 UTC 2011

Hi :)

some days ago there was no sound for YouTube when using Firefox.

I wrote and run the attached shell script on my Edubuntu Maverick.
I did ignore the the information given by the browser, just quit it and
rebooted.

Now there's sound for YouTube when using Firefox.

Download the shell script and in a terminal emulation cd to the download
path, then run

        $ sh pa-off.sh

Hth others too,

Ralf

PS:
- The volume icon in the GNOME panel disappeared.
- An audio/MIDI session using jackd is ok.
- If jackd is running there's no sound for YouTube.
- When jackd is killed there's sound for YouTube again.
- /usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf still is set to
[snip]
<confdir:pcm/front.conf>

ICE1712.pcm.front.0 {
	@args [ CARD ]