FW: [OT] Re: rt kernel

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 12 07:55:12 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Mardorf
Sent: Tue 4/12/2011 08:11
To: Stefan Schumann
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: rt kernel

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 22:47 -0700, Stefan Schumann wrote:

> [...]

How did they sync analog VTR by SMPTE?
I guess they have motors with a sync option and there are no audible
changes for the pitch.

I wonder if a time stretching tool is needed to sync a DAW as slave by
SMPTE, but it's said that this should be needed, FOR AUDIO, not for
MIDI.
If so, librubberband isn't able to do the job.
I guess the only option is to run the DAW as SMPTE master, IMO no big
deal, because the computer usually is the editing tool.
For a home recording studio this might be an issue, because e.g. analog
home tape recorders or consumer video recorders etc. can't be sync.

OTOH, for SMPTE and MIDI only the computer should be able to be slave,
because there's no time stretching tool needed. I used the C64 with a
click sync and the Atari ST with SMPTE as slave to sync to a 4-track
recorder. Note that a C64 and Atari ST is hard real-time capable,
there's quasi no jitter. Linux, MacOS and Windows don't do hard
real-time, resp. it's hard to set those machines to hard real-time
capabilities.

- Ralf