Maverick and Delta 1010lt

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Apr 11 06:26:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 06:31 +0200, ailo wrote:

> I believe this might be a little over the top for new users. Just saying..

Oops, yes, I need to explain what exactly to do. But perhaps it's more
important to remove outdated information and dead links from the web.

When did you ever update LILO :D?
http://lowlatency.linuxaudio.org/

In 2003/2004 when I started LILO already was obsolet.

Some dead links can be found here:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/real_time_info

This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards.
Please improve this article if you can. The talk page may contain
suggestions. (December 2008)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_audio_software

Sometimes oldish information is better than no information, but
sometimes oldish information can misdirect.

We should add information to the headlines, such as "Ubuntu 10.10
Maverick Meerkat, architecture:all, 2011-Apr"

> > I shouldn't switch the distro and you shouldn't switch to Natty.
> >

> Why is that?
> Just wondering.

Switching to Natty might be ok, but a test candidate perhaps won't make
it easier. Sometimes we need to bark, that's ok, but we shouldn't bite

> There is serious effort being made to redeem the lack of a clean and
> comprehensive documentation for Ubuntu Studio. This work should be done
> before the release of Ubuntu Studio 11.10. Help is appreciated.
>
> The goal of the documentation aught to be make it as simple as possible
> for the user to learn how to use the system for multimedia tasks.
>
> If you write something up, I will be happy to help with editing, even
> though my English may not be that much better than yours.

Some basic information seems to be good documented, just little
corrections and new screenshots could be added, e.g. yesterday we only
had ALSA MIDI:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToQjackCtlConnections
http://www.64studio.com/quickstart_jack
Anyway, this information still is ok.

I'm not really interested in writing such howtos, I would like to write
how to build apps from trunk, without breaking package dependencies.

How to disable PA, how to make several sound cards one virtual sound
card etc. ... Btw. until now I never tried this two things myself.

Dampen Euphoria is better, than to promise to help more, than it's
really possible for a longer time.

The UNIX/LINUX/POSIX philosophy to have an app for each task results in
issue for restoring sessions. Writing about apps like jack_snapshot [1],
qjackctl patchbay, howto write simple shell scripts, is what I'm willing
to do. I don't think that session handlers are ok at the moment, but I'm
not sure.

- Ralf

PS: Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to make black-grey-white-lists
for hardware, but some information should be given, with information
about the date. E.g. today a minimum of 1024 MB RAM is risky, 2048 MB -
framebuffer for an integrated graphics seems to be the minimum that's
ok. USB 2.0 MIDI devices are risky. New mobos might need some years,
before the BIOS and the Linux kernel is ok, while those mobos might be
perfect for Windows from jump.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/heaven/files/Audio%
20Applications/Jack%20Related/jack_snapshot/

It's available again :), dunno if it's already patched with the
additional headers.