From an audio-cd into Ardour

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Apr 9 18:51:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 04:55 -0500, Erik Rasmussen wrote:
> Giuliano,
>

> If Ardour can import audio directly from an Audio CD, I'd love to know
> how, (because I have not seen such a feature in Ardour yet).
>

> EXTRACT AUDIO WITH SOUND JUICER...
> When extracting audio from an Audio CD, I like to use Sound Juicer.
> http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/sound-juicer
> It is available in the Ubuntu Software Center, calling it Audio CD
> Extractor.
>

> EXTRACT AUDIO AS FLAC...
> I prefer to store high quality audio files in the lossless FLAC
> format, which Sound Juicer supports.
> Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) takes up much less space than the
> original WAVE file, but is lossless, (so it is just as good as the
> original WAVE file).
> Ardour 2.8.6 supports both IMPORT and EXPORT of FLAC files, so then
> you're all set to use your newly created FLAC files in Ardour.
>
> Hope that helps!
> -Erik

I like FLAC too and I don't like mp3, but for audio production I guess
'WAV Float 32-bit' could be the best choice. FLAC is lossless, but
there's the need to transfrom data from and to FLAC, so I guess it might
be better for a project to chose 'WAV Float 32-bit' directly, even if
the original CD WAV is 'Signet 16-bit'. Perhaps the Float 32-bit for the
production is better to avoid rounding errors or stuff like this, while
the digital data is processed by several apps. *?* -Ralf