rt kernel

Alessio Igor Bogani abogani at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 6 10:14:09 UTC 2011

Dear Ralf,

2011/4/6 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:
[...]
> Note that today we should prefer the tickless timer.
[...]
> The 1000 Hz timer still isn't obsolet, because HPET/HR timer sometimes
[...]

How have you tested? What results have you obtained? If you want
convince someone else you should provide testing procedures and
numeric results.

[...]
> What is my point?
>
> RT on Linux isn't 'hard RT', so de facto even the RT patch isn't a real
> RT patch.

I think that no one here is  interested to determine how much the
PREEMPT_RT patch is "hard" or "soft". We are working on a kernel that
better fits our users needs.

In any case the -rt/-realtime kernel maintainer role is vacant. Are
you interested?

Ciao,
Alessio