The different realtime kernels

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Sep 30 19:40:34 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 13:25 -0500, Scott Lavender wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 17:15 +0100, Ricardo Lameiro wrote:
>         > I agree with you. I think the best compromise is to use the
>         Hard RT
>         > kernel patch on top of vanilla kernel, and have the Generic
>         kernel for
>         > everyday usage.
>         > You can choose which kernel to boot from at the beginning,
>

>         I only use vanilla + rt-patched kernels for audio-video and
>         everyday
>         usage. The only difference is the CPU frequency scaling. For
>         everyday
>         usage I set it to ondemand and for audio-video work to
>         performance and
>         sometimes I manually enable hr timer when doing MIDI work.
>
>         IMO just a kernl-rt is needed, but as I mentioned before,
>         people running
>         32-bit architecture might need a patch to enable usage of
>         large RAM.
>
>         But indeed, GRUB is our friend, we are free to use several
>         kernels. OT:
>         GRUB is a little bit more user-friendly than GRUB2 is ;).
>
>         > Hard RT kernel, should be the only one to be supported,
>         since it is
>         > the kernel that brings more benefits to audio/video
>         production, If we
>         > spread attention with 2 more kernel flavours, no one can
>         support it,
>         > and lets face it, abogani makes a hell of a good job, so we
>         should
>         > simplify is life :D
>

>         Hm, on my Ubuntu Studio, neither Abogani's, anyone else or my
>         own build
>         kernel-rt are ok :(. I can't boot any kernel-rt.
>
>         I'm able to run Suse with my self build kernel-rt, but not
>         with the
>         repositories once and I'm able to run 64 Studio (Hardy,
>         Karmic) with
>         kernel-rt from the repositories and self build kernels.
>
>         Live CDs, e.g. AV Linux are ok with the kernel-rt.
>
>         Anyway, the rt-patch could be a PITA, while the PREEMPT only
>         kernel for
>         Ubuntu Studio is ok on my machine, as far as a PREEMPT only
>         kernel is
>         able to do some jobs, but I'm able to boot the kernel.
>
>         IMO we only should take care of the kernel-rt and no other
>         kernel.
>         Hard disk drives today are less expensive so everybody should
>         be able to
>         install a distro for audio-video usage and if needed other
>         distros for
>         other usages, because not only the kernel makes a different.
>         IMO a DAW
>         e.g. don't need the security that's needed for some other
>         usages.
>
>         I'm running several Linux, no Windows, on my 2 core AMD 64-bit
>         PC, for
>         everyday usage and audio-MIDI productions, all Linux with
>         kernel-rt
> [...]

2 cents:

Of course the rt-patch isn't available for every vanilla kernel version.

But is it wise to have a distro that includes applications like Ardour,
JAMin, JACK etc. without a kernel-rt?

What do you think would be the answer, if somebody has got an issue when
using Ardour and the person ask at the Ardour users mailing list,
posting that the kernel isn't a kernel-rt?

What is Ubuntu Studio for?

I guess we could install a 'normal' Ubuntu and add Ardour, JACK etc., if
Ubuntu Studio don't support a kernel-rt I don't understand what it
should be for?

Supporting real-time applications without a kernel that is patched with
a rt-patch IMO is pointless.

*?*
Ralf