Natty and RT Kernel (was "Maverick and RT")

Alessio Igor Bogani abogani at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 30 09:32:56 BST 2010

Jeremy,

2010/9/30 Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com>:
[...]
>>> cut it for me, like I said, I need the tasklet API the -rt kernel
>>> provides so I can use rtirq.
>>
>> Probably you meant IRQ Threads.
>>

> I need the tasklet API the -rt kernel provides so I can use rtirq to
> prioritize IRQ threads ;)

Not all bottom-halves have done with tasklet API (network stack for
example uses softirq) and you still configure they priorities with
chrt (real utility behind rtirq). So you really need for IRQ Threads
not for Tasklet API.

I really don't want go into technicism but I suppose could help you
know what you are really need to. :-)

[...]
> a good thing to think about how many Ubuntu users are actually using the
> -rt kernel and if it's really worth the effort in putting a lot of
> energy in maintaining these kernels.

Definitely Agreed.

Ciao,
Alessio