No subject

Tue Sep 21 04:50:38 BST 2010

A minor difference is that the -rt kernel offer the "really stable"
and upstream official release 2.6.31 whereas -realtime offers the last
official upstream release that is 2.6.33. But there are the same
kernel (that is PREEMPT_RT). The main difference is the external
support. In -rt I have tried to offer an usable system as like Ubuntu
do (so I have worked on compatibility with closed video drivers for
example like nvidia or fglrx) whereas with -realtime I don't enforce
it at all.

In less words: if you need of closed video drivers, external DKMS
kernel modules, linux-backports-* you should probably start to use
-lowlatency (when it will be available through Ubuntu repos). Instead
if you really need of an real-time system you should avoid all above
or trying to make those working alone.

> cut it for me, like I said, I need the tasklet API the -rt kernel
> provides so I can use rtirq.

Probably you meant IRQ Threads.

> Concerning support, it would be best if there were kernels for every
> release simply because it would be a bummer if people would move away
> from Ubuntu because of this.

That require a lot of energy. If a lot of people will be available for
help we could do it.

Ciao,
Alessio