Natty and RT Kernel (was "Maverick and RT")

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 02:41:10 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Brian David <beejunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Scott Lavender <scottalavender at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I want people to have realistic
>> expectations as well.
>>
>> I would not expect the -preempt, -rt, or -realtime kernels to be
>> maintained in the official archives (repositories).  These would need to be
>> maintained in a PPA, although it is probable that this could be maintained
>> in an official Ubuntu Studio PPA.  It is my understanding that these kernels
>> cannot be included in the Ubuntu Studio ISO if they are not in the archives.
>>
>> I would expect the -lowlatency and -generic kernels to be in the archives
>> and therefore can be included on the ISO.
>>
>> Therefore, my suggestions would be to focus on the -lowlatency (which will
>> need to be community maintained and in the repos) and the -rt kernel (which
>> many users desire for performance but maintained in a PPA).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ScottL
>>

> That is fine with me.  I should clarify:  It doesn't matter to me if the
> -rt or -realtime kernels are on the ISO or a PPA.  As long as they are
> available and of good quality, then I'm happy.
>
> --
> -Brian David

Brian,

I'm sorry, I wasn't necessarily directing that at you, it was intended more
as a public announcement about kernel availability in general.

My goal wasn't to dissuade anyone from working on the kernels and I'm glad
that everyone wants to help.  All the help is really appreciated :)

Cheers,
ScottL