Few notes about video programs in 10.10 Beta

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Sep 27 07:36:22 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 17:20 -0500, Kenneth Koym wrote:
> I currently have no video on my Studio nor sound

Did you install the audio/video container codecs?

"Install the video codecs:
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse ffmpeg

If you use the Medibuntu repository, you can add other codecs, and
encrypted DVD support to Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs libdvdcss2

See "Unofficial Backports" section below for more information." Resp.
read

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation#Effect
Plugins, Instruments and Codecs

, I didn't read it myself, I just take a look at the codec section, IMO
there are a lot of codecs missing, but I might be wrong and they might
be part of the non-free-codecs or they are already included to Ubuntu
Studio (right now I'm booted to another Linux, so I'm unable to check
this).

Regarding to the no sound issue, could you please run jackd or qjackctl
and an application using jack? I wonder if you might have an issue with
pulseaudio, but if you run jack sound perhaps is ok.

Please install 'hwinfo' and run

sudo hwinfo --sound > hwinfo_sound.txt

then post the output to the list.