"Pro-sumers" :-) was: Amateurs ???

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 02:25:45 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 20:39 +0300, Asmo Koskinen wrote:
> 26.09.2010 19:48, Brian David kirjoitti:
>
> > I'm not sure how it is in Maverick, but in Lucid, the rt kernel is patched
> > from an older generic kernel, and so it was more or less officially
> > recommended to use other kernels.  Personally, I've found that the RT kernel
> > is the only one that gives me the performance I want.
>
> For Maverick you can try Alessio's.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa

Thanks.

Well, I did some experimenting today and maybe I do not have the
settings all perfected.  Which is likely since I do not really know what
each one does.  But to compare apples with apples I ran jackd with
Ardour with the same simple project.  In both cases; 2.6.32-25-preempt &
2.6.31-11-rt Ubuntu SMP  x86_64 GNU/Linux were worse at creating xruns
than the generic kernel.  Now I *know* this is nonsensical however I do
not know of another way to test to see which kernel I should be booting.

I also need the machine for email and web browsing. There seemed to be
very little if any performance differences in those categories between
the various kernels.  But this is subjective and not verified in any
quantitative manner.

Thoughts?