Tasks, Workflows, and Packages for Ubuntu Studio Natty

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sun Oct 31 09:47:34 GMT 2010

On 10/30/2010 07:09 PM, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 29.10.2010 23:36, schrieb Scott Lavender:
>> Hello again.
>>

>> For those who are interesting, and I would hope most would be, you can find
>> the task and workflow wiki page at:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Workflows
>>
> I have added a workflow for video-postproduction. Comments welcome :-)
>
>> All users are encouraging to peruse this page and add their contributions!
>> We only ask that if you have a differing workflow that one that is already
>> extant, please add yours as an "alternative" and do not remove the other.
>>
>> Before going further I want to explain more about what I mean when I use the
>> term "package set".  This term is a reference to the applications installed
>> by default with Ubuntu Studio.  These packages are NOT being removed from
>> the archives.  You can always install these packages at any time, by any
>> method of choice.  We are only discussing the inclusion of these package on
>> the Ubuntu Studio ISO.
>>
>> Right.  Now that we have that out of the way, I want to inform you how the
>> currently installed package set will change for Natty.
>>
>> These will be "new" packages (or applications) installed by default when
>> installing Ubuntu Studio:
>>   * guitarix
>>   * hydrogen-drumkits
>>   * lashd
>>   * mscore (to replaces denemo and lilypond)
>>   * phasex
>>   * qtractor (to replace seq24)
>
> Qtractor is by no means a replacement for seq24. It is just a completely
> different application.
> Seq24 is a pattern-oriented sequencer taht can be used for
> live-performance in ways that qtractor cannot be used and is not
> intended to be used.
> I would consider it a big mistake to remove Seq24. To replace it with
> qtractor would be like replacing a helicopter with an Airbus.

Same here, Qtractor is a multi-track recorder/MIDI composition tool
while Seq24 is a pattern based sequencer. Some of the most amazing stuff
made on GNU/Linux is done with Seq24.

>>   * specimen
>>   * whysynth
>>   * yoshimi (to replace zynaddsubfx)
>>
>> These are packages (or applications) that are currently included with Ubuntu
>> Studio, but will no longer be:
>>   * aconnectgui
>>   * audacity
>
> I find this logical since Audacity does not fit very well into Jack.
> Still I wonder what would be the replacement for it (Ardour for more
> sophisticated waveediting and Mhawaveedit for simle tasks could be a
> sane recommendation for Audacity-users I guess.

It really is a shame Rezound isn't actively being developed/maintained
anymore. And the Audacity team should really take a look at implementing
direct JACK support instead of using PortAudio.

>>   * beast
>>   * bitscope
>>   * bristol
>>   * csound
>>   * denemo (replaced by mscore)
>>   * freebirth
>>   * freqtweak
>>   * genpo
>>   * jackeq
>>   * jacktools
>>   * jdelay
>>   * lillypond (replaced by mscore)
>>   * lmms
>
> LMMS has a unique concept in terms of usage and workflow that is *not*
> doubled by qtractor. I'd recommend to keep it.

Same here too. LMMS aims at being an all-in-one solution which makes it
stand out and also very usable for someone coming from another platform
where monolithic apps are more widespread.

>>   * mixxx
>>   * muse
>>   * qamix
>>   * seq24 (replaced by qtractor)
>
> see above - I strongly recommend to keep Seq24.

And why Mixxx? It is one of the best DJ mixer apps available, if not the
best.

>>   * terminatorx
>>   * timemachine
>
> Many like timemachine and will be disappointed not to find it
> automatically installed. Though I would not consider it essential.
>
> best regs
>
> HZN/berlin
>
>>   * timidity
>>   * tk707
>>   * xwax
>>   * zynaddsubfx
>>
>> Again, the goal is to make Ubuntu Studio more effective and proficient, in
>> essence more useful.  Users want to accomplish a task (e.g. mix a song), not
>> just run an application.  The current status of the package set (
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageSelectionDevelopment) was
>> developed to assist users accomplish tasks.
>>
>> If an application is listed to no longer be included with Ubuntu Studio but
>> you want it to be, then please identify a task that requires it and develop
>> a workflow at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Workflows
>>
>> This is your chance to directly influence which applications are included
>> with Ubuntu Studio.
>>
>> ScottL

Best,

Jeremy