Real-time kernels from the Ubuntu Studio Lucid repositories

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:57:30 BST 2010

that is totally interesting... i have about 4 machines that boot the -rt
kernel, and the -realtime kernel without issue... also, a 64bit install with
the same results... i cant help much with the self builds, but go ahead and
spit out some more logs here, and lets try and figure out why your not able
to boot...

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> [...]
> >         vmlinuz-2.6.32-25-preempt
> >         vmlinuz-2.6.33-23-realtime
> >         vmlinuz-2.6.33-29-realtime
> >         vmlinuz-2.6.33.5-rt23
> >         spinymouse at ubuntu:/boot$ ls initrd*
> >         initrd.img-2.6.31-10-rt
> >         initrd.img-2.6.31-11-rt
> >         initrd.img-2.6.32-23-preempt
> >         initrd.img-2.6.32-24-preempt
> >         initrd.img-2.6.32-25-preempt
> >         initrd.img-2.6.33-23-realtime
> >         initrd.img-2.6.33-29-realtime
> >
> >         The kernel without initrd is a self build kernel-rt, build the
> >         same way
> >         I build DEB packages for kernel-rt for 64 Studio based on
> >         Hardy. I don't
> >         know why I didn't got the initrd for Ubuntu Studio Lucid.
> >
> >         I can boot all the preempt kernels. When I try to boot
> >         2.6.31-10-rt I
> >         get the message 'No such device' on startup. The entry for
> >         grub.cfg is
> >         ok [1].
> >
> >         It's the same for 2.6.31-11-rt.
> >
> >         When I try to boot 2.6.23-realtime I get the message
> >         '[...] ACPI: Expecting a [Reference] package element, found
> >         type 0'
> >         only, followed by tty1.
> >         For 2.6.33-29-realtime I get the message
> >         '[...] ACPI: Expecting a [Reference] package element, found
> >         type 0
> >         [...] ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
> >         [...] ata2: softreset failed (device not ready)
> >         [...] ata3: softreset failed (device not ready)',
> >         followed by tty1.
> >
> >         I've got 1 SATA DVD drive and 2 SATA hard disk drives. Could
> >         it be an
> >         issue regarding to a PATA module, but a SATA module?
> >
> >         The self-build kernel ends in a kernel panic.
> >         ASAP I'll build another kernel-rt myself and post all steps I
> >         do.
> >
> >         Cheers!
> >
> >         Ralf
> >

> >         [1]
> >         I've got the influenza, so I might had a blackout and missed
> >         something,
> >         because of this I attached my grub.cfg, a manually edited one:
> >
> >         spinymouse at ubuntu:~$ cat /usr/sbin/update-grub
> >         #!/bin/sh -e
> >         exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg_$(date +"%b-%d-%Y_%
> >         H-%M-%S")
> >         "$@"
> >         spinymouse at ubuntu:~$ ls /boot/grub/grub.cfg*
> >         /boot/grub/grub.cfg  /boot/grub/grub.cfg_Oct-02-2010_12-22-37
> >
> >         I copied the entries for all Ubuntu Studio real-time kernels
> >         and
> >         2.6.32-25-preempt from the latest auto-generated
> >         grub.cfg_Oct-02-2010_12-22-37.
> >
> >         FWIW all kernel-rt for 64 Studio and Suse are self-build, the
> >         kernel-multimedia are also kernel-rt, but from the 64 Studio
> >         repositories. I can boot all those kernels, but I'm also
> >         unable to boot
> >         kernel-rt from the Suse repositories and the self-build Suse
> >         needs a
> >         Ctrl+Alt+Double-Backspace after startup, before it's ok.

MH
828.250.0037