No subject

Thu May 20 18:13:08 BST 2010

-lowlatency -> -rt kernel

My understanding is that the -rt kernel depends on Igno Molnar's patch,
therefore we cannot guarantee it's availability for every kernel.  However,
the other flavors do not rely on his patch, but rather are available by
simply changing compile flags.

ScottL

--001636c927b2e6670b04889f07c0

an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:beejunk at gmail.com">beejunk at gmail.com</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: =
0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left:=
 1ex;">
, and suggest that Ubuntu Studio should not be user oriented.=A0 At least, =
not in the sense that a main priority would be to make things as simple as =
possible.=A0 It seems to me that a lot of problems have resulted from the a=
ctive marketing of Ubuntu Studio as easy to use.<br>

easy.=A0 I&#39;ve also accepted that this is a good thing, because the payo=
ff is that the software is of higher quality and greater versatility.=A0 My=
 suggestion is that Ubuntu Studio should brand itself as a serious audio pr=
oduction system, one the provides the highest quality tools out there, but =
that requires patience and experience to utilize.=A0 Not the easiest sell, =
but I&#39;d say closer to reality.<br>
ntu Studio&#39;s audience.=A0 To be honest, we really don&#39;t have too ma=
ny clues.=A0 I think we need to know more about our current and their needs=
 so that we can better address them.<br>
 audio&quot; at this point.=A0 JACK and Pulse Audio integration, among othe=
r things, is an argument to this point.=A0 I&#39;m not saying the potential=
 isn&#39;t there, because I believe it is, but it would require additional =
work.=A0<br>
0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex=
;">Having said that, I think there are a few things that could be done to m=
ake Ubuntu Studio more user friendly.=A0 The most obvious would be to make =
sure that the user is automatically put in the &#39;audio&#39; and &#39;vid=
eo&#39; groups, and that firewire access is available out of the box withou=
t needing to mess with Ubuntu Studio Controls.=A0 This should allow JACK to=
 start right away for most users.</blockquote>
as been mentioned, the use is part of the audio group.=A0 However, I believ=
e this is probably going to change for -rt capabilities.<br><br>My understa=
nding is that the current user, the one logged in and behind the keyboard, =
is the active user and the active user will have rights to -rt audio.=A0 So=
, users will not need to be explicitly included in the @audio group.=A0 Of =
course, this is under development and subject to my limited understanding a=
nd development change.<br>
ty issues.=A0 I&#39;m not saying this is not a possibility, but rather it n=
eeds to be discusses and explored.<br>=A0</div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_q=
uote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 2=
04, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
However, above all else, what Ubuntu Studio needs is much much much better =
r and dear to me and is what got me involved with the Ubuntu Studio develop=
ers and I cannot agree more.=A0 However, the developer team is extremely li=
mited both quantitatively and qualitatively, therefore any help from the us=
er base would be most appreciated.<br>
that users can assist Ubuntu Studio without developer knowledge and this in=
cludes testing, bug reports, and documentation.<br><br>Any knowledgeable us=
er is encouraged to fix typos or outdated material and even create new page=
s on the wikis.=A0 Any user with a launchpad account can do this!<br>
8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
On a final note, a long running issue for me is how often a quality rt kern=
el is left out of the releases.=A0 On my system, at least, the RT kernel is=
 the only one that gives good enough performance.=A0 The vanilla and preemp=
t kernels produce far too many x-runs.=A0 I seem to have no problems with t=
he 2.6.31 RT kernel, but it would be awfully nice to have a 32 version.<br>

ee Alessio has already replied concerning the kernel so I will only supplem=
ent his comments.=A0 More information about kernels can be found at:=A0 <a =
href=3D"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/RealTimeKernel">http=
s://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/RealTimeKernel</a><br>
preempt -&gt; -lowlatency -&gt; -rt kernel<br><br>My understanding is that =
the -rt kernel depends on Igno Molnar&#39;s patch, therefore we cannot guar=
antee it&#39;s availability for every kernel.=A0 However, the other flavors=
 do not rely on his patch, but rather are available by simply changing comp=
ile flags.<br>

--001636c927b2e6670b04889f07c0--