Filed bug #544772: Optical drive not recognized

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 03:54:43 GMT 2010

Greetings,

I filed a bug in Launchpad describing problems with my HP optical drive that
stopped being recognized upon upgrading to Karmic.  I am hoping this way to
encourage that this very basic functionality be returned in Lucid.  If you
can contribute to a solution, please do so in Launchpad.

I am not much of a techie, so my description of the problem is probably
lacking needed information.  Here is the text:

<<

I have an HP dvd840 CD/DVD burner which worked in previous versions. This
drive will work to boot a live CD; if I boot generic Ubuntu Karmic from a
USB key I can use the drive normally for playback. I did not test it for
burning.