How to record faint sound from the Mic input?

Thomas Fisher thomasfisher at ak.net
Sun Mar 7 08:23:25 GMT 2010

On Saturday 06 March 2010 10:36:38 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I need to record a phone conversation, but the sound from the Mic
> input is so weak that recording and playing back in Audacity I hear
> almost nothing. How can I either boost the playback or (even better)
> boost the input so that the file is recorded in a hearable way?

> Dotan Cohen

Hi  Dotan
  When you load the audio file into a audio editor you can amplify the signal.
In Audacity:
  --> Effect ----> amplify ---> opens a window ---> enter the amount you wish
to boost the signal.

{ Amplify} will probably be towards the top of available selections.
  I use a Zoom digital recorder, in which I purposefully have the gain set low
in order to minimize noise during recording. When I bring that recording into
the audio editor and amplify the signal.

Hope this is of use.
Tom