What's wrong with jack ?

Pablo Fernandez pablo.fbus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:08:46 BST 2010

 So the user should have the

> option to disable it completely - the same as he/she has the option not
> to use nautilus or apache.
> And this should be possible *without* deinstalling it.

I agree

> Again: is there ANY sane reason, that this script does not edit
> /etc/security/limits.conf?
>
> The script works but it breaks standards, that used to work like a charm
> for years now in the Linux audio realm. Asking G "how to setup linux for
> jack" turns out dozens of tutorials how to set up limits.conf. All of
> those work perfectly well on any Linux.

I find it neater the way it is now. As a user, I think the case
is similar to /etc/apt/sources.list and
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/someother.list
Particular configurations for particular goals are in a separate file.
Someone in the LAU list mentioned other examples and gave better reasons.
Anyway,  the user does not have to bother anymore with editing a system
file.

More authoritative reasons are here:
I like when Steve writes "common doesn't mean correct".

We will have to learn again  :)

> Plus, as you mention yourself later on, the script must set up group
> audio as well, this is a no-brainer and I really do not know, why the
> packagers do not implement that.

I didn't say exactly so. I think a package script must not deal with users
and groups.
But the distro should do it, imho.

> > For the rest, qjackctl launches pasuspender so pulseaudio is (almost) out
> of
> > the way.
>
> I recommend that. It works very much OK for me.
>
> > Afaik, a cleaner approach than pasuspender or the rm you suggest in
> getting
> > rid of pulseaudio is the following:
> >
> > qjackctl -->  Options tab, execute script on startup:
> > pulseaudio -k
> >
> > (this kills pulseaudio) (artsshell sounds like jurasic)
> >
> > However, pulseaudio will respawn automatically if you don't do the
> > following:
> >
> > $ sudo edit /etc/pulse/client.conf
> >
> > Change the line:
> > ; autospawn = yes
> > to:
> > autospawn = no
> >
> > If you wish to start pulseaudio, once the jack session is finished:
> >
> > $ pulseaudio --start
>
> This methods I tried in Open Suse 11.2 and it broke my system so
> globally and totally that I abandoned the OpenSuse-Installation. So I
> really recommend to check out, if pasuspender does the trick

In my case, pasuspender does the trick but I don't want a pulseaudio daemon
running at all.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation#Pulse%20Audio
recommends creating a *~/.pulse/client.conf*  with "autospawn = no" (instead
of editing the system wide /etc/pulse/client.conf as I suggested) and then
put "pulseaudio -k" as a "Startup Application".

Cheers! Pablo