No audio - was: Real time for Ubuntu Studio 10.04 amd64

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jul 29 06:55:25 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 00:18 +0200, Gerhard Lang wrote:
> Am 28.07.2010 18:22, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > Hi :)
> >
> > today I tried Ubuntu Studio again, but I had no time to work on the
> > realtime kernel issue, because I got some new issues.
> >
> > 1.
> >
> > After updating apps and the non-realtime kernel, my manually edited
> > grub.cfg was automatically overwritten by a completely grotesque
> > grub.cfg, without an automatically backup of the original. So tomorrow
> > I'll have to do a hard job to make all my really existing kernels and
> > Linuxes bootable again and those who are already bootable needs to get
> > rid of those annoying boot splashes, unfortunately I didn't backup it
> > myself.
> >
> > 2.
> >
> > I tried to play a MP3 by Movie Player, the PA setting meters show
> > output, optional for one or the other of my two Terratec EWX 24/96 sound
> > cards, but there was no sound hearable or visible for Envy24 control.
> >
> > 3.
> >
> > I installed KMPlayer, set it up to use JACK, run JACK, launched
> > KMPLayer, pushed play and play stand still.
> >
> > Any hints how to solve issue 2 and 3 are welcome.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> hi Ralf
> I'd recommend grub2. On my stationary machine it finds all hard-drives,
> partitions, oses and every single Linux kernel. You'll just have to edit
> /etc/default/grub for your needs on the Linux from where you updated
> grub i.e. for getting rid of splash and recovery mode, setting defaults
> etc..
> I also have an ice1712 card, a hoontech dsp24, and it worked ootb in
> 10.04 64bit.
> But just in the moment I have problems with sound/alsa in kernels
> 2.6.32.23 and 24 generic and preempt.
> With rt kernel 2.6.33.26-rt and jack2 (available i.e. in falktx ppas)
> and  alsa updated to 1.0.23 all audio is fine.
> Even if both your cards are selectable in PA I think your problem has to
> do with multiple sound-card setup which seems to be not trivial in
> Ubuntu. Can you select them  in Qjackctl too?
> good luck
> Gerhard

Yes, I'm able to select them by Qjackctl too. I didn't make both cards a
single virtual card until now.
I can't boot any kernel-rt. There at least is an issue for X. I'm unable
to start GDM. There's no sound for the preempt kernels.

Because there isn't a xorg.conf anymore I'm unable to switch between
drivers for the graphics ... right now I see there's a
xorg.conf.failsafe using the vesa driver.

Hm, ASAP, not right now, I'll try to boot a kernel-rt in failsafe mode.

- Ralf