Help with internet and packages

Rafael Boy rboyr95 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 04:41:40 GMT 2010

Hey there, first of all sorry for my bad english, i'm from Mexico. So here
is my problem. When I try to install ubuntu studio 9.10 in my Dell Inspiron
1420 it appears in spanish "Hubo un fallo en la deteccion/configuracion
dhcp" or something like that. In english it would be something like "there
was an error detecting dhcp". So I chose "retry configuring dhcp" but
nothing, then I chose to retry with a server but I don't even know the name
of the server (my internet company is called Infinitum), finally I tried
configuring it manually but I don't know which IP addres should I put, the
local IP or the internet IP, I mean the one that is "192.168.xxx" or the one
that could be "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". The Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 but I
don't know what is the "pasarela" in spanish, in English I think it could be
the "router" "gateway" "dns" and I don't know that. Actually I have
configured my laptop (in windows) to automatically recieve the IP settings
and the DNS settings to. I don't mind reinstalling the OS. Or maybe I should
try some commands from the terminal. Could you help me please?

Thanks, Rafael

PD: I also selected the packages "2d/3d creation" "audio creating suite"
"video editing suite" (or something like that), and when it is about to
finish it says "there was an error  trying to install packages, do yoy know
what could be wrong? Thanks guys.