Wineasio, Guitar Rig and Jack issue on Maverik, AMD 64

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Tue Dec 28 15:37:25 GMT 2010

Am 25.12.2010 15:01, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sat, 2010-12-25 at 12:34 +0100, Ronan Jouchet wrote:

> Guitarix can't replace Rakarrack and to be fair,

It depends on what do you want. If you want a software, that emulates a
(very good)standard-amp with a set of standard-effects plus a convolver
guitarix would be (and is actually) my first choice.
If you need more FX, Rakarrack could be better. But to be perfectly
honest: in the end it is a matter of personal taste. Guitarix can do
perfectly the same as Rakarrack.

> Rakarrack can't replace
> Guitarix, OTOH simply using Fon's Jconvolver + some distortion might be
> near to be able to replace Guitarix, but it still won't replace
> Rakarrack.
> Rakarrack can be used for professional sounding Hardrock guitars in the
> style of the 80s, IMO it's nearly possible to reproduce the genius sound
> of LPs like "I against I" from the Bad Brains, just by playing the
> guitar to the mixing console, without an guitar amp, when using
> Rakarrack. Well, 70s and ex 80s style IMO can't be emulated good by
> software effects.

Guitarix has made profound progress in the last 6 months. A recent
version can produce any sound one would expect from a real amp from the
pro-league. If you apply impulse-responses from a sound, you can have
virtually any sound with it.
But emulation of existing sounds is nice, if you like such tricks. Much
more important for me is, that Guitarix takes the signal from my guitars
very very similar as a real amp does. Given you use a
middleclass-interface like the instrument-in of a MAudio mobile pre or a
simple mixer and a envy24-card you can actually sweep from slightely
overdrive clean-sounds to crushing distortion by using the volume-wheel
on the guitar. All the finery in playing guitar-strings from sweet low
caressing to most brutal strumming shred is preserved. This is a feature
I miss in most other digital modeling solutions.
It shall not sound "good" it shall sound like me ;-)

best regs

HZN